Thread: Running on Land

Default Running on Land

Owned a 1991 21ft Glasstream open bow with 4.3L for 5 years but recently sold it to buy my first Supra. It's an 04 Launch 22 SSV Gravity Games I picked up for about $18k with 535hrs.

Running it with a fake a lake at home so I can warm it up to change all the fluid but when I get it warmed up and try to shift into gear it makes a whine noise so I back off. Is it alright to put these in gear when on land? I brought the boat back from Texas and hit a coon on the way home, could that have changed the alignment of the drive shaft? The coon took off my trailer license plate so I didnt think it hit anything on the boat. ANY helpful information for a new Supra owner would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The whining you heard is likely the strut bushings around the driveshaft. There's nothing to keep them lubricated and cool when running on dry land.

Technically you could lubticate it and engage it...the risk you run is cooking your bushings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooose View Post
    The whining you heard is likely the strut bushings around the driveshaft.
    This. Not a good idea to put in gear on land.
    If you really really needed to, you could try and rig up some system for your other hose to wet the drive shaft. But the spinning propeller on the trailer is asking for trouble.

If you are worried about the alignment of the driveshaft, inspect the drive line. See if anything is bent. Tug on the prop and rudder and see if it wiggles. Check the alignment of the driveshaft at the transmission (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEqzJgCz_6w).
    Last edited by scottschmitt; 04-26-2018 at 09:34 AM.