Default Depth gauge help/type recommendation.

Hey all! I have a 97 outback, and it has no depth gauge at the moment. I’ve looked around the site here and haven’t seen anything since about 2015 talking about this topic, so here goes. I’m looking to add a depth gauge with water/air temp but I’m not sure which type is best for my boat. I’m not sure if I should go with a in Hall, through hall, or transom. I feel like the through hole would be the best but not super excited about drilling a 2 inch hole in the bottom of my boat, but I will if it’s my best option. I also realize that a through hole would not allow me to have the temperature but if that is what you guys are considering the best option then I’m willing to forgo the temperature settings. Also it’s an inboard so a placement help would be great. Just looking for some advice from anybody that has taken on this project and what the new were boats are running. As always your guys his wisdom is a huge help.

Thanks
    Brian

I'll be installing a thru hole on my rebuild.

My rationale was:

I read that a thru hull provides better / more accurate depth while at speed...this is important as the primary lake we are on has fluctuating water levels, and there are 2 other lakes in the area where we will trailer the boat to but don't necessarily know the lay of the land so to speak.

Also, with a transom mount..you are still making a hole in the boat and in my case there will be kids hanging all over the swim platform and I figured it's only a matter of time before someone kicks it or uses it as a "step".

To me, it was always an option b/w the thru hull and transom...I didn't really consider the in hull option.

All the ones I have installed are through the hull but no holes are drilled . The transducer is epoxied to the inside of the bilge between the prop and rudder. I have not found them to be very accurate at speed . But I wound never have the guts to drill a 2'' hole in my boat.