Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2014 Supra Launch 242 "rudder rattle"

Just bought this boat about 2-3 weeks ago. It had 28 hours on it when I test drove it. When loading the boat there was a noticeable rattle in the steering wheel. Only when loading it on the trailer. Sales guy said it was feedback from the rudder. I ain't ever had an inboard boat so, OK I guess. Lol. Anyways. Took the boat out 3 times, first time no issues whatsoever. 2nd time I was idling thru some stumpy area to get to nice spot and kinda hit a stump/ Tree. Barely. Really wasn't bad at all. Immediately after, when I would accelerate, it started that rattle in the steering. Thus last time when I took the kids out wake surfing, it's worse with a load. Only does it on initial acceleration. Nothing at speed. Idles smooth no strange vibration at idle or at any speed. Other than initial take off. Checked rudder and it has some slight play front to back and side to side. Otherwise, visually it looks fine. What's considered acceptable slop and is there any adjustments that can be made? Also seems like it may be leaking water slightly.
    Thanks in advance fellas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I bet it’s your prop, not the rudder.

Have a local shop close by? Would take it in and let them check the balance.

How are the edges of the prop? Notice any bends or rough edges?

Had similar issues, quick swap of prop and it was taken care of.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

The prop actually looks pristine. No indications at all of contact with anything.

You bent one of the blades on the prop . Take it off and have it checked.

OK. I can do that. But just out of curiosity, wouldn't it have a consistent vibration and typically be noticeable at speed. So the rudder slop has nothing to do with the rattle? Thats what's odd, the boat is still just a smooth as the first time out. Only get the rattle in the steering wheel on initial take off.

How bad is the rudder slop?? We talking lots of movement or just a slight wobble?

Previous owner could have hit something in the water but with only 28 hours, more likely he hit himself in the head for not using it more.

Bad blade as Mike said or out of balance is still my prediction.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I'd say the side to side is about a 1/4-3/8" at the the bottom of the rudder. That's if grabbing it from the bottom and pushing. Same slop on front to back. I was guessing with the force of all that water from the prop, any slop could create that rattle until stable flow across the rudder is established. I'm going to pull the prop and have it checked, but I'm really stuck on the rudder play.

Mine was same as you describe. Violent wheel shake to start out of the hole, especially under load when surfing, smooths out and then you’d never know there was a problem with the prop. Had two slightly bent blades after a close encounter with a rock.
    Swapped it over to different prop and no issues since.

Also, now might be the time to make sure you have the correct prop on your boat especially if you wake surf a lot. Mine was already upgraded to one suited for surfing which is the Acme 1235 14.5” X 14.25”

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

10 4. I'll pull it and have it sent in and checked. Assuming mine is stock. Was wanting to use it this weekend. This might shut that down. It's always something.
    Thanks

I used mine for over a month with bad prop before swapping. Just annoying is all.

Takes five min to pull a prop if you have a puller.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242