Default Drive shaft packing nut

20180523_200443.jpg

Got to lake test my new-to-me 2000 launch last weekend. I crawled around all over looking at stuff... While underway I noticed a little more than a drop a second coming from the end of the big brass nut. I searched around and found a conversation that said 1 drop every 15-30 seconds.

I though I'd trying tightening the packing before replacing the stuffing. Im hoping somebody has done this and might share a procedure based on the pic? Any comments are much appreciated!

get some big pipe wrenches or similar and loosen the thinner locking nut. then tighten the big packing gland nut until the drips reduce or stop. then tighten the locking nut against the gland nut while holding it
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Thanks Docdrs! I get what you're saying. I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Just an addition...the manual says you should be able to adjust the large nut by hand. If you have to use a wrench to slow the dripping, then it is time to make plans to replace the packing.

Check this page out. Applies to replacement of packing.... but good for reference.
    http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1

Thanks for the link ngavchris! That is a comprehensive resource! Ive got an ir gun at work to check the temps.

CJD, that makes sense put together with the caution of heat in the write up.

I'll report back after some SLIGHT adjustments on the lake tomorrow.

Adjust maybe 1/2 a flat at a time and then retest. If it needs a bunch of tightening, probably needs to be repacked. It's not hard. Skidim has the wax string and Goretex packing material. Your packing is going on 18 years there. Probably dried out.

Just do 1/4 turn at a time. In theory you shouldn't need a wrench but the facts are that you will need one. even if you need to replace the packing it's like most things. Easy to do but a pain to reach and see.
    Function before fashion!

I bought 2 spanner wrenches to break the jam nut loose. Took everyone's advice and only tightened slightly, about 1/2 a flat spot at a time. Ended up turning 1 full flat spot total to get down to a drop or 2 every 30 seconds. This was done by hand and underway at an idle. Then used the wrenches to hold the stuffing nut in place while tightening the jam nut good and tight. Article/link warned if the jam nut isnt tight you could spin the stuffing nut off while in reverse. The spanner wrenches are nice because they are thin and fit in there next to each other!

The article/link from ngavchris was great and warned of temps and expanding after tightening. I didn't see any change in temp or the amount dripping after an hour of cruising around. Our water temps are dam cold right now. Maybe 45 degrees! I'll keep and eye on the drip. Oh... it looked like there was no drip while sitting. That may change overtime too I bet...

When I bought the boat, the guy gave me a package of 1/4" white-ish square wax rope, western--- brand. Said that is what he had been using.

Thanks again ALL for the pointers!!!

20180525_181948.jpg

Pretty day!

Sounds like you are in business then. Well done. That white-ish square wax rope sounds like the packing material ... should you need to repack in the future.