Default Is it worth it? 1985 sunsport

I got a 1985 Supra sunsport last year, has the 454 in it, the motor was went through about 7 years ago with quite a bit of money put into it, I have all the paperwork on it, it runs and drives great, just put a new carb on it, I paid $3,000 for it. Been repainted in 2007, paint is still good and new decals. The floor is getting soft I know a guy thats redone multiple boats he said I would have around 3-4K into new floors and stringers if he did them. Around 5-7 if I have a marina do then around here. I was going to rebuild the seat frames my self and have them recovered. I figured I would have 6k into redoing this boat. Witch leaves me at $9,000 into the boat. What’s your thoughts?
    Last edited by Supra85; 05-30-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Personally I don't care for new boats and carburetors don't bother me so a solid running classic boat with new floor and newer paint would be hard to find for $9,000.
    If it doesn't suit what you do you could try and sell it and spend your $6k on a boat that better suits your needs. Otherwise I say keep it, you know what you have and what needs fixing anything short of a new boat (and even some new boats) is going to have surprise costs pop up as well.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier with 351W and swivel spotters seat

What else could you get for $9k? Doubt it would be a refreshed 454 with rebuilt stringers/deck and new interior. If the Sunsport does what you need stick with it. It's a great hull. If it's not the boat for you then...

Yeah I love the boat, I just wasn’t sure if it would be worth it... I thought it would be but I wanted some other opinions. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Supra85 View Post
    Yeah I love the boat, I just wasn’t sure if it would be worth it... I thought it would be but I wanted some other opinions. Thanks!
    Just be sure to spell out up front what your paying for with any stringer job and ensure as part of the deal you get picture documentation at the key steps

Salty is right. He and I both have been down this road and reaped the benefits. It's a great hull . . . I've easily got $20K wrapped up in my '86, which makes it a keeper from a financial aspect. But what could I buy for the same money . . . probably not much. And I'm real happy!
    C Suggs

Quote Originally Posted by nboardskier View Post
    Salty is right. He and I both have been down this road and reaped the benefits. It's a great hull . . . I've easily got $20K wrapped up in my '86, which makes it a keeper from a financial aspect. But what could I buy for the same money . . . probably not much. And I'm real happy!
    For $20k you get a 2002 that still requires a ton of work! While I didn't have to replace the stringers or floor boards, I did have to do a lot of wire wheeling, grinding, sanding, cleaning, filling, cleaning, sanding, cleaning, fibreglass, cleaning, sand.... you get the idea. All the toxic dust, noise, time, fumes. Eek!

I would try to see their shop or somehow get comfort that they have the patience and skill to do the job right the first time. Last thing you want is gremlins down the road. I've seen first hand what it looks like when the factory skips a step and the fibreglass doesn't hold. They laid fibre on top of a painted surface without sanding or cleaning most likely. Not structural but didn't keep water where it was supposed to be.

Get the boat fixed and don't look back. Way better to know your boat and feel comfortable on the water than buy something newer and unknown.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk