Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Water Coming in from Rudder on 1989 Supra Mariah

Hello, Newbie here. Have owned a 1989 Supra Mariah for 3 years.

I have a constant stream of water coming in from the rudder. When I look between the back seats, the rudder has what seems like a big nut similar to the one that is on the propeller shaft. I just repacked this one (prop shaft) - so I figure it is a matter of repacking the one for the rudder. But it seems impossible to get to it without removing the fuel tank.

So my questions are:

1. am I correct that I need to repack the rudder like I repack the propeller shaft?
    2. do I need to remove the fuel tank to do it?
    3. how do I remove the fuel tank? I siphoned out the fuel - released the straps and the hoses (except for the hose to fill the tank - couldn't get much movement on that one - yet) - I just couldn't really lift the tank much (at the other end) so I decided to wait on removing that hose. I am trying to lift the tank out - but maybe I should be removing the rear seats and shoving the tank forward?
    I was planning on bringing the boat to my shop where I can use some straps and a forklift and give it a nice pull.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

From what I've read there are a couple different styles rudder from this time period. Here's a very detailed thread on one of them: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...rudder+packing

There are lots of other threads if you search rudder packing.

1. Yes, the rudder seal will eventually wear out but it may not be the same style packing as the shaft.
    2. I've never been on a Mariah so can't answer if the tank needs to come out.
    3. To remove the tank, at least on a Saltare, remove the fill hose. Lift the opposite end of the tank until you can slide it away from the filler side of the hull above the topcap. Then the filler side will have room to clear the topcap, too. Reverse to reinstall.

Many of these have a rope seal / packing with a packing or gland nut. Others, have a mechanical seal with o-rings, oil seals (axle seals) and retaining rings . . . this is what was on my '86. You really won't know until you take things apart, what you have. Either way, it has to be fixed. If you have the non-packing type I can help. I've put parts kits together in the past.
    C Suggs

Thank you both for your replies. Let me see if I can remove tank and then go from there. Maybe take some pictures and upload them.

IMG_3335.jpg

1. I reached underneath and took a picture of the rudder assembly - I have attached it (for some reason it shows up upside down) - looks to me like it is one with a packing nut.
    2. I used a forklift and was able to release the tank from the 28 years of sitting on the foam. But I wasn't able to remove it. The tank is 16" wide and the opening is 15" wide. If anybody with a Mariah circa 1989 has done this before - I could use some guidance.

Did you take the back seat out? Should slide right out... maybe Marriah is different.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    C Suggs

Quote Originally Posted by Monterosas View Post
    2. I used a forklift and was able to release the tank from the 28 years of sitting on the foam. But I wasn't able to remove it. The tank is 16" wide and the opening is 15" wide. If anybody with a Mariah circa 1989 has done this before - I could use some guidance.
    Sounds like it's similar to the Saltare and won't come out level.

Gotta lift the end opposite the filler first. High enough to clear the topcap. Then pull it toward that side of the boat by a good 6". Rest it on the topcap/rail if you have one. Walk around to the filler side and it'll clear the hull now.

Quote Originally Posted by nboardskier View Post
    Did you take the back seat out? Should slide right out... maybe Marriah is different.

Mariah has a solid fiberglass panel between the tank and the rear seats - that is part of the top cap

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Sounds like it's similar to the Saltare and won't come out level.

Gotta lift the end opposite the filler first. High enough to clear the topcap. Then pull it toward that side of the boat by a good 6". Rest it on the topcap/rail if you have one. Walk around to the filler side and it'll clear the hull now.
    I can't lift one end to clear the top cap - the tank is 1" wider than the opening - only thing I can think of is to rotate the tank since the height of it would give me the clearance to come out of the hole. But I can't see a way to rotate it inside the hole where it sits - there's just not enough space for it to make that 90 degree rotation.

What about cutting the panel? Does it serve a purpose?

C Suggs