Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hello....new 1989 supra ski boat owner questions

Hi everyone...this is our first full summer start up with our new to us 1989 supra. couple questions for the experienced on this site.

Where can we purchased UNO hd one step? Ive only found it in canada and they want almost as much for the shipping as the product.
    I seen the product do miracles on a mastercraft on you tube and i want to try it. That guy was in florida...but ive had no luck finding UNO in the states?

second question is..when we got the boat late last year...the steering was kinda tight...bearable....more tight to one side than the other....but after storage and getting the boat out...now its really stiff. I disconnected the rudder shaft and the rudder moves fairly easy.....steering still stiff unhooked from rudder......so cable or could it be the box behind the dash the steering wheel connects too? Im not sure what thats called, but is it greasable? or is there mechanics inside that unit that can be maintenanced? I was thinking about disconnecting the cable up by the steering wheel if thats possible to see if the wheel gets easier. Process of elimination

Any help would be great.....its a great boat with really low hours. Just need it to be easier to steer...thanks!

I don't know anything about uno. Sounds like your steering cable needs to be replaced.

I believe your correct. I just disconnected the cable from the housing under dash.... wheel spun free. Cable is the culprit. Marina is telling me ..they will only put cable in along with helm box because helm is worn in. If they only install cable. It could be a issue. Is this true or are they up selling me. ? They want 400-600 for job. It's a televix cable I see. But couldn't see part number on it. I'm pretty green here guys....not sure if it only needs a cable shall I do it my self

Some what mechanical but never worked on a boat let alone a cable like this.

Any advice appreciated

The helm and cable are 169.95 at skidim. Give them a call and they will talk you through the repair . If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then you can always have them do it . Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    The helm and cable are 169.95 at skidim. Give them a call and they will talk you through the repair . If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then you can always have them do it . Where are you located?
    Hello, thanks for the help...yes i did speak to skidim....they believe its a cable as well ...as the 4 bolt Big T helm rarely goes bad they said...(550 hours)
    so i ordered a cable for a 167 shipped. Im in PA....im goin to attempt to change it myself with a friend...between you tube and vinces help from skidim...i believe we can handle it....I hope! Local marina wanted 4-600 for the job....so I think its worth trying. They also said they would never change a cable without a new helm. ? skidim says they replace cables all the time with no issues. So maybe the marina was trying to upsell me? who knows. thanks for the help and I will check back with progress.

I had the same issue several years ago and only did the cable replacement. That took care of the problem.

Automotive mechanics are bad . Marine mechanics are worse.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Automotive mechanics are bad . Marine mechanics are worse.

Thanks guys, I will check back in after we tackle this job and report.

Quote Originally Posted by supranewbie View Post
    Thanks guys, I will check back in after we tackle this job and report.
    ok got the cable the other day....i have disconnected the rudder and the cable guide ( ball joint) at the rear of the boat, and unhooked the helm in the front. With the rudder metal end being so rigid.........whats the best way to pull the new cable through..... Ive seen that guys are using rope or attaching to old cable to pull through. That rudder hook up end doesnt look like it would flex obviously. Not sure which way or end to start with.....anybody do this? ive found two youtube vids but not a supra boat. Dont want to make a dumb mistake. ANY help would be appreciated.....thanks~

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly I fed it from the back of the boat forward since the end that goes to the helm was more flexible.