Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

^ that and feeding from the stern to the bow only about 5' of the cable needs to pass through the hole in the deck. If you go the other way you'll have to push about 15' through toward the stern.

Been years for me too but I think I just pulled the old one out of the way before working the new one through. Before doing that, pop the bilge pump cover and see if you can reach the bottom side of the whole with one hand and the top side with the other. If so, let 'er rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    ^ that and feeding from the stern to the bow only about 5' of the cable needs to pass through the hole in the deck. If you go the other way you'll have to push about 15' through toward the stern.

Been years for me too but I think I just pulled the old one out of the way before working the new one through. Before doing that, pop the bilge pump cover and see if you can reach the bottom side of the whole with one hand and the top side with the other. If so, let 'er rip.
    Well....what a job...still cant get the old cable out....unhooked the helm.....tied a small knot to the big nut,...cable tied it and duct taped. pulling from transom end, like mentioned cause that end isnt flexible at all. Would not budge....found out after looking harder...the cable and other wires, cables...ect....all cable tied....talk about fun trying to find all them. Im just shy of 6 ft and 235lbs. Not fun. I needed a small person and Im not one.

thinking i got all the ties snipped....i now find i cannot get the rope and cable splice down through the hole provided into the hull...of course its up under the dash i cannot fit under. Even pulled the drivers seat to try to lay on by belly. I can see it...but cant get the position to try to push it through that hole. Once thats done, i think its easy going. One thing i thought of is , goin in reverse should be easier pulling back through because there is no big nut, the new cable is just cable that snaps into the helm with a new adapter. BUT...im worried once i get my rope pulled through with the old cable.....i wont have that big nut to tape and cable tie too either. Worried about losing the cable and rope midway.

Im thinking IF i have enough rope, i will run as much of the rop along the cable as I can. That way IF something happens so what if the rope is in there...no one will see it anyway.....be a gurantee not to come apart. Any suggestions or advice on that? thanks guys...this is all new to me as a boat owner.

Quote Originally Posted by supranewbie View Post
    Well....what a job...still cant get the old cable out....unhooked the helm.....tied a small knot to the big nut,...cable tied it and duct taped. pulling from transom end, like mentioned cause that end isnt flexible at all. Would not budge....found out after looking harder...the cable and other wires, cables...ect....all cable tied....talk about fun trying to find all them. Im just shy of 6 ft and 235lbs. Not fun. I needed a small person and Im not one.

thinking i got all the ties snipped....i now find i cannot get the rope and cable splice down through the hole provided into the hull...of course its up under the dash i cannot fit under. Even pulled the drivers seat to try to lay on by belly. I can see it...but cant get the position to try to push it through that hole. Once thats done, i think its easy going. One thing i thought of is , goin in reverse should be easier pulling back through because there is no big nut, the new cable is just cable that snaps into the helm with a new adapter. BUT...im worried once i get my rope pulled through with the old cable.....i wont have that big nut to tape and cable tie too either. Worried about losing the cable and rope midway.

Im thinking IF i have enough rope, i will run as much of the rop along the cable as I can. That way IF something happens so what if the rope is in there...no one will see it anyway.....be a gurantee not to come apart. Any suggestions or advice on that? thanks guys...this is all new to me as a boat owner.

Ok all done.....learned somethings for sure.....took more apart than i needed in the rear rudder area..lol. but i got a chance to see how it it works ect.......lined up the steering wheel.....rudder....steers great in the garage! Hopefully put it in the water this wknd...thanks for the guys that did respond.

I had the same problem when I was in the Alps in 2016: finally replaced the cable. Nothing could spoil my Christmas Wish I could buy villa in this amazing ski resort in Austria
    Last edited by nico17; 06-26-2018 at 03:44 AM.