Default New exhaust manifolds smoking when running fast

On my 89 Pirata I replaced both exhaust manifolds and risers a week ago. I had it out for the first time this past weekend and on startup the manifolds were smoking at the engine ports. I expected some from the paint and what not but it continued to smoke a fair amount anytime I got on it. I obviously used all new gaskets and I'm not sure what exactly is going on. The smoke smells awful and I suppose like burnt paint? Definitely not oil or gas. Just wondering if anyone has ran into this or not? I did read that i should have put a different gasket that blocks the front port on the risers to force water over the riser and I ordered new ones but I still dont see that making smoke at the engine? Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Sounds like burnt paint to me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I may have figured it out but I'm not sure....I checked on the riser gaskets I ordered and put in and both end passages are blocked so I ordered the correct ones from skidim. I wonder if the water had nowhere to go?? Hopefully I didnt cause damage?? �� Hopefully this solves it but if anyone wants to chime in I'm open to any other suggestions

I hope you're right. It made me pretty nervous.

Any chance the water hoses to/from the impeller got reversed? Do you trailer it?...could run her on the hose to see if water's coming out the exhaust.

Have you tested the risers when running on the water? Should be able to put your hand on the top of the riser for a couple seconds w/o pain or harm. An infrared temp gun can come in handy to see what the temps are in different spots.

If she's been overheating check your exhaust hoses for soft spots.

Put the right gaskets in first!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Any chance the water hoses to/from the impeller got reversed? Do you trailer it?...could run her on the hose to see if water's coming out the exhaust.

Have you tested the risers when running on the water? Should be able to put your hand on the top of the riser for a couple seconds w/o pain or harm. An infrared temp gun can come in handy to see what the temps are in different spots.

If she's been overheating check your exhaust hoses for soft spots.

Put the right gaskets in first!
    I test ran it in the driveway and I had plenty of water coming from both exhaust tubes. I've triple checked my hoses and they are correct. The risers were pretty hot when running and that is when I took it in to my lift. I ordered the pleasurecraft riser gaskets from ebasicpower. After looking again on their site they actually offer more than one and I obviously got the wrong one. Mine has ports on the sides but none on either end, it just has tiny weep holes on the ends. It has been so long since I've changed a set I didnt even notice. I ordered new ones from skidim with the one end towards the rear blocked off and the opposite open so that it flows over the riser. I'm hoping this is all that it is. The motor never overheated it ran 150-155 once warmed up. My concern started with getting the burnt paint smell coming from where the manifolds mount and I didnt feel like it should smoke as long as it did. I will install the new gasket risers and check their temp at the dock. If you're thinking of anything else I could look for please let me know. I greatly appreciate the response.

The only thing you could have damaged, assuming there was a lack of water, is the large rubber hoses to the risers. They depend on the water to keep the rubber from breaking down.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    The only thing you could have damaged, assuming there was a lack of water, is the large rubber hoses to the risers. They depend on the water to keep the rubber from breaking down.
    Right on. Thank you!