Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    The saltare will most likely have a 454 . The good news is the 454 is a very common engine and will be easier to find than a 351.
    Correct, it has the 454. I am sick over it. Does anyone know how much I could realistically get for an 87 Saltare with a cracked block? It is in good shape, re upholstered 4 years ago, has a tower, hydrophase speed control, reverse pumps plumbed to ballast bags in the bow and ski locker, hydraulic wake plate and surf tabs, etc. Trying to determine if I should replace the motor or sell it as is.

Do you have any history on the Stringers and wood decks?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Do you have any history on the Stringers and wood decks?
    Stringers are in good shape, the interior was re done when it was reupholstered 4 years ago. The boat is really in nice shape, it's not a restored boat because it has all of the modifications/add ons. But with a new motor, and properly taken care of this boat should last for a while.

Why not find a new or used 454?
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

Quote Originally Posted by SUPRA_ALLEGRO_LANE View Post
    Why not find a new or used 454?
    I have already put enough into this boat. I would think that if I put a new motor in I would be able to sell it for about the price of the new motor installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymanator View Post
    I have already put enough into this boat.
    So, this is a completely crappy situation, and I feel for you.

You can think about the value of the boat and how much you have in it vs. what you might be able to sell it for. And you hate the feeling of being ripped off or being underwater.

Alternatively, ask yourself, what else could you get for that kind of money? And if you put another 5k into this boat, would you get 1k of appreciation and enjoyment out of the boat each year for the next 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Toymanator View Post
    Well the worst was confirmed today. Had a guy come put the freeze plug back in and do a compression check. He found a crack near the exhaust manifold and in the oil filter. I didn't drain the block and admit that I didn't drain the block this year. I remembered after the fact that I was in a hurry and just pumped a few gallons of antifreeze through it. I feel terrible about it now. The mechanic told me he could do another two hours of labor and pull the exhaust manifold to see if the crack is just at that point but in his experience usually there is a crack internally as well. So I either need to sell it with a cracked motor or spend the money to put a new motor in it. Real depressing day...
    I hate hearing this and wonder why there are guys who still insist on winterizing this way. Hope it all works out for you.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug