Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I fear the worst

I pulled the boat (1987 Supra Saltare) out this last weekend for the first time this spring. I hooked up the fake a lake and started it right up, I only ran it for a minute or two. The engine was rebuilt less than 100 hours ago, and runs like a top. I cleaned it up and felt like it was ready for the maiden voyage of the year. We headed down to the lake and launched the boat. It almost immediately started to overheat, I pulled it over to the dock after running it for only a minute or two and noticed it was very hot. I shut off the engine and suspected that perhaps the impeller needed to be replaced. It has been two years since it was replaced. Then I pulled the dipstick and it looked milky. I pulled it back on the trailer and took it home. After letting it sit a day I pulled the dipstick again and it's definitely water in the oil. I am now nervous that the block somehow cracked, or it needs a new head gasket. I am pretty depressed about it, I have put a ton of time into this boat over the last few years.

Is there anything else it could be? Anything I can do to diagnose it?

When you winterized it did you put antifreeze back in? I doubt a head gasket would blow in 100 hours. It could also be an exhaust manifold.

Yes, last year to winterize it I pumped a few gallons of antifreeze through the engine.

How did you get the antifreeze into the block and manifolds? Did you run it and mix it with a running engine that was running on water from the hose as well? If so, that dilutes the antifreeze and thus decreases the amount of low temperature protection you have.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

5BB4A9DC-B554-4855-A337-41AB110E7FFE.jpg
    I found this hole in the bottom of the engine block tonight. It had water coming out of it. When I winterized it I ran the antifreeze through my fake a lake until it was exiting out the bottom of the boat.
    Last edited by Toymanator; 06-12-2018 at 11:57 PM.

Are you talking about the freeze plug or the rust between the block and head? did you drain the engine before you used the fake a lake to add antifreeze?

Well the worst was confirmed today. Had a guy come put the freeze plug back in and do a compression check. He found a crack near the exhaust manifold and in the oil filter. I didn't drain the block and admit that I didn't drain the block this year. I remembered after the fact that I was in a hurry and just pumped a few gallons of antifreeze through it. I feel terrible about it now. The mechanic told me he could do another two hours of labor and pull the exhaust manifold to see if the crack is just at that point but in his experience usually there is a crack internally as well. So I either need to sell it with a cracked motor or spend the money to put a new motor in it. Real depressing day...

Sorry. That's a pit in your stomach that is hard to fill. Good luck.
    Might be worth a call to your insurance agent.

Where are you located? I have an engine (albeit a bit grungy) out of my 85 Sun sport. Its the 351W. I’m not for sure when, but the block at least (maybe the heads too) was at one point a reman, and I had it running a couple of weekends ago.

I just stumbled upon a whole parts boat with a cleaner engine so I swapped them out. Oil was black when I drained it, no particles or milky coloration even though the boat has sat for 3 years.

This one needs cleaned up and for sure intake manifold gaskets, and just a little love, but it ran fine.

The saltare will most likely have a 454 . The good news is the 454 is a very common engine and will be easier to find than a 351.