Default Water Pump Issue 85' Comp

Alright guys, never encountered this problem before and am looking for some advice. Took the boat out this weekend and noticed it was missing a bit all over the powerband. Only put 10 hours on the boat since de-winterization and thought it may be some bad gas and I needed to run it through the boat.

Wife was pulling me skiing last night, she hears something crack, I see the boat smoking and we shut her down immediately.

Water pump pulley wheel was cracked and broken off and the boat had overheated, not boiling over but temp gauge was reading 180.

What I think happened is the impeller is either jammed up with something or has stopped and maybe she needs a new water pump.

Any suggestions? Trying to get her running again before the 4th of July week. Any input appreciated!

Boat is an 85' Comp TS6M with a Chevy 350....no it does not have a 351W.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by B5allen187 View Post
    Alright guys, never encountered this problem before and am looking for some advice. Took the boat out this weekend and noticed it was missing a bit all over the powerband. Only put 10 hours on the boat since de-winterization and thought it may be some bad gas and I needed to run it through the boat.

Wife was pulling me skiing last night, she hears something crack, I see the boat smoking and we shut her down immediately.

Water pump pulley wheel was cracked and broken off and the boat had overheated, not boiling over but temp gauge was reading 180.

What I think happened is the impeller is either jammed up with something or has stopped and maybe she needs a new water pump.

Any suggestions? Trying to get her running again before the 4th of July week. Any input appreciated!

Boat is an 85' Comp TS6M with a Chevy 350....no it does not have a 351W.

Thanks!
    Call Discount Inboard Marine aka Skidim.com immediately. 803-345-0996
    They can help you out and ship parts quickly.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Replace the water pump. If you can't source a marine pump go ahead to your local parts store and get whatever SBC water pump they have on the shelf, likely for a Chevy pickup. Check pulley flange mounting position is the same ralative to the block. Replace with a marine at the end of the season. Marine pumps have a few differences such as impeller and backing plate that resist corrosion. It's possible the impeller on yours has rusted apart and a piece broken off to seize the pump.

Measure depth of pulley and diameter, find one at a junkyard, ebay, amazon, rockauto, etc.

SkiDIM is probably your best bet to get the right marine parts quickly, if they can get them to you quickly enough. Just offering an alternative if you can't source marine parts quickly.

Thank you so much for the pointers! Went to Auto Zone yesterday unfortunately they don't stock the parts and can't get them but I'm sure any junk yard would have it.

Headed to the closest one after work today!

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Replace the water pump. If you can't source a marine pump go ahead to your local parts store and get whatever SBC water pump they have on the shelf, likely for a Chevy pickup. Check pulley flange mounting position is the same ralative to the block. Replace with a marine at the end of the season. Marine pumps have a few differences such as impeller and backing plate that resist corrosion. It's possible the impeller on yours has rusted apart and a piece broken off to seize the pump.

Measure depth of pulley and diameter, find one at a junkyard, ebay, amazon, rockauto, etc.

SkiDIM is probably your best bet to get the right marine parts quickly, if they can get them to you quickly enough. Just offering an alternative if you can't source marine parts quickly.
    Except that all but one year of the true Comp had a small block Ford engine as a power plant in it I thought.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Except that all but one year of the true Comp had a small block Ford engine as a power plant in it I thought.

One of my buddies works for a Supra Moomba Dealer (they are wildly expensive or I would have taken it in there) and he tells me the 85 Comp with the SBC power plant is pretty rare. It definitely rips when running right!

Quote Originally Posted by B5allen187 View Post
    One of my buddies works for a Supra Moomba Dealer (they are wildly expensive or I would have taken it in there) and he tells me the 85 Comp with the SBC power plant is pretty rare. It definitely rips when running right!
    Rare perhaps but the Chevy 350 was always available as an optional engine since the inception of the Comp in 1984.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242