Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1989 comp condenser?

Guys I am back again. Last year boat ran great after having supra dealer fix. Now this year took it out and am having same issue I had last year. Motor starts cutting out under load. I put all new electrical everything along with new fuel pump and carb kit. When it did it before they figured out it was the condenser that was causing it. Is it possible that my condenser went out again with only 15 hours on it? If so what is causing it to fail.

Also forgot to mention. It ran great for the first half hour. Then just shut off. It would start up after I pumped it. Then as soon ast I put it in gear die. It would rev up great and run. But as soon as I put it in gear it would die.

It could be the condenser I have only seen 1 bad condenser in the past 40 years but it is possible. Have you checked the points? also check the coil. Where are you located?

Normally a bad condenser results in very rough running at all times, not just under load. The points start to arc and burn, so it gets worse rapidly.

From you description, I would start by checking mixture and idle speed once the engine is warm and the choke is off. It sounds like the idle may be a bit low and/or the mixture a bit lean.

I had the points,coil,condenser,cables,rotor,cap,plugs,resis ter anything electrical replaced a year ago.

For fuel I had pump,filter,carb kit all done a year ago

I am wondering if water is getting in my tank from condensation.

I’m about ready to light a match to the damn thing

I am in Minnesota

I will try that. But it will run half throttle until I open all four barrels. Then it acts like it’s running our of gas.

I had a similar problem of misifiring and cutting out entirely after 20 minutes or so. Turned out to be an overheating coil. It would start after sitting 15-20 minutes and be fine for a while. Tried swapping a spare coil right away when it failed and it ran fine. Ended up getting a new coil from NAPA and has been fine for years, running a Mallory Unilite distributor.

That’s where I got my last coil was from Napa. I will try it. Thanks

The funny thing is I wasn’t even skiing with it when it quit. I was just cruising just above idle.

Check the dwell or point gap.