Default Starter Issue ‘89 Comp

My 351 ‘89 Comp typically starts really well. But if I run the boat for a while and stop to let the kids swim it doesn’t want to engage afterwards. I am not able to give the technical term, but it sounds like the starter is just spinning and not engaging the motor. If I wait a while, and crack the engine housing, it will eventually engage and turn the motor over. (I don’t really know if letting it cool off helps at all; I just think I remember reading that at some point)

Is this normal for an aging starter? This is a PCM replacement, maybe 4 or 5 years old from Ski Dim.

It did this a few times last year too, but not consistently. As of last weekend, it seems to be consistent now.

I have a replacement starter I bought last year ready to install. Any suggestions to make this PCM replacement last longer?

Any advice on how to properly install it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The starter drive sometimes called a bendix drive is going out. You can replace just the drive but the starter will have to be taken off and dismantled to replace it.
    Most people just replace the starter . I would replace the starter relay at the same time unless it has been recently replaced.