Default Wakesurfing behind 1990 Supra Mariah

Hello Gents,
    I’m a newbie to Wakesurfing. Own a 1990 Supra Mariah and the kids want to wake surf. I have 3 - 550lb ballast bags I placed 2 on the surf side and one opposite in the back, essentially in a U shape. Also running a swell wake shaper. Question is.... how should I have them positioned in the boat ? This set up didn’t have enough push to drop the rope. Do I need more ballast or is my placement off ? Boat has a 454 in it, weight didn’t seem to be an issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would have to see the shape of the wave to give you any legit feedback, but some things I would consider......do not be afraid of front weight when surfing. Often times when I have a lot of people on the boat and too much weight in the back end it smashes my wave to be short and stubby. Maybe try front surf side, back surf side, and back bench? The shape of the wave tends to determine where you have your push. Most older boats have all of their push in the front pocket, but lose it when you get to the back curl if your shaper isn't angled right. Also if you are new to surfing and I'm teaching someone the biggest issue is not the wave in most cases but there weight distribution on the board. Getting the weight on the inside front edge of the board is a common rider error. Hope it all works out for ya!

Boat:
    2018 Supra SA
    Boards:
    Phase 5 MVP
    O'brien Vader Blem
    Hyperlite Shim

Thank you so much. I will def try front weighting it. I have a video of the wave. I’ll try to post it. I put 3 - 550lb bags in a U shape. Didn’t have any front weighting which I think will def help.

i have an '88 sunsport and i still run 650 front, two 800's in the back with maybe 100lbs out of the non-surf side. your boat is heavier than mine so it will take more to sink and get the same wave, so i'd say you need at least this amount of weight at a minimum. i also have a surfgate installed. i'd say start with adding 600lbs up front, with the current amount of weight you have in the back.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!