Default 2004 Launch SSV safe mode trouble

My 2004 Launch runs great for the first 20min-1hr then it’s bogging on takeoff or going into its safe mode. I’ve noticed it starts when the temperature rises up to 180. I’ve replaced impeller, cleaned heat exchanger, and replaced the thermostat all of which seemed in good condition. My temperature gauge hasn’t changed the way it reads since I’ve owned the boat for 3 years. It looks like the hose from the RWP to the heat exchanger (oil cooler) has collapsed somewhat and I want to change it this week but before I keep throwing money to it anyone have any other ideas? Also I would prefer a molded hose but can’t find one locally, anyone know where I can get the exact fit or recommend a certain brand? Thanks to all in advance.

Do the bucket flow test next to make sure you've got enough water moving through. Pull off the hose from the impeller at the t-stat housing and see how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket. I believe the spec is that it should fill in 15 seconds at 3000 rpm. I'd bet that you have a blockage somewhere. Was your old impeller missing any pieces when you replaced? You may have to go on an easter egg hunt to find some rubber chunks.

Thanks for the information. I’ll try that this evening and return with the results. As far as the impeller goes I’ve always replaced it every season and I’ve never had one come out with any fins missing or cracks for that matter. I do however run my boat in watts bar lake and if your not familiar with it it’s not the cleanest lake around. We also frequently visit shallow spots where my kids can get out and swim and if the test you’ve showed me fails I’d bet that could be the culprit. Thanks again

If you run in shallow water I'd also look REALLY close at the trans cooler. Mine sucks up junk from time to time near my dock and it embeds in the passages and causes flow trouble.

Took the trans cooler completely out and flushed it. Put it back in and topped off the trans fluid I had lost. Took it to the water today and it pushes through to the bucket good when running at high rpms, but at idle seems like low pressure. I didn’t see any leaks in hoses but may go ahead and change them all anyway. I think if I get this heating problem fixed I’ve now got a battery issue, everything powered off ignition off and still something pulling it down. I’ll return within a week to provide any answers I’ve found, meanwhile I appreciate the help!!

Your problem might be totally different than mine but it sounds similar. I changed all kind of things on cooling system and never fixed but finally figured out it was a fitting on the water filter that was just slightly loose allowing it to suck air in with the water. I took my suction hose off the fitting on the hull and blew through it and could hear a little bubbling and air sound from the filter housing. Took all hoses loose and could turn one of the fittings by hand. I put Teflon on them both tightened them and boat runs perfectly now.
    99 santera

Just an update for yoiu guys that have helped me, I went to the dealer and read the code, sure enough it was getting hot and limiting power rpm etc. so I came back home on a mission. Started from the beginning and was going to work all the way through. Took me 5 minutes to find the culprit. So previous (original) owner added a “y pipe” as soon as it comes out of the pickup and before it goes into the v-drive. (Y pipe was for a flush or addition to hook a hose up to it out of the water). As I tracked it to the end I look down and the valve on the added line was wide open!!! Always do a THOUROUGH. Check before buying parts. If your like me you get tunnel vision and it’s easy to skip past the simple parts. Thanks for all the help