Default 1987 Supra Sun Sport gas tank capacity

Hi Supra Fans,

I just bought an 1987 Sun Sport. Runs great. Needs some tuning and some cosmetic work. One question I have is after tearing it all apart, I looked at the box fuel tank in the aft and it does not look like 37 gallons as I've seen speced on some web sites. Any idea how much gas this thing holds.

I am in the process of fixing the gas gauge which is why I ask.

Thanks!

Nino Urbana, Ohio

Your gas tank is in fact 37 U S gallon capacity.
    Good luck

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by ninov View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.
    You are indeed welcome!
    Nice to hear that it helped you.
    Best,

IMG_0593.jpgIMG_0612.jpgIMG_0612.jpgHey guys, I'm nick and I have read this thread before but never posted, bought this 86' sunspot 3 years ago for 500 bucks .. it was in bad shape, stripped her down split her in half etc etc... but I gotta say I'm quite proud of this boat, it's nice to know there's a crew of old skool Supra lovers out there!!! What you guys think? Opinions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stads22; 08-20-2018 at 11:39 AM.

i've never gotten over 28-29 gallons into my '88 sunsport after it's showing really empty, and i had always heard it was a 30 gallon tank. did it change from '87 to '88?
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

LOVE THE BOAT! Thinking of doing the same thing.....was it a big project? The boat I am looking at has a bad floor and I think a bad stringer, but Hull and interior are perfect. What do you think...….I can fix almost anything, just don't have tons of time.

Quote Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
    i've never gotten over 28-29 gallons into my '88 sunsport after it's showing really empty, and i had always heard it was a 30 gallon tank. did it change from '87 to '88?
    Probably a bad sending unit. My Saltare has a 50 gallon tank from what I've read here and from measuring it while I had it out, but I only get 30-35 gallons before it's reading near empty. I want to order one of those fancy new style fuel pickup/sending units with no float, but senses from the fuel level on the pickup tube.

I always wanted to bring a 5 gallon can and run it to empty to see what it really does. 35-ish gallons is not enough if we cover some miles. We can easily do 100+ miles in a day and that's right on dicey on the gauge but by my math at worst case 7 GPH (6-7 GPH when I've measured) I should have 150+ mile range.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Probably a bad sending unit. My Saltare has a 50 gallon tank from what I've read here and from measuring it while I had it out, but I only get 30-35 gallons before it's reading near empty. I want to order one of those fancy new style fuel pickup/sending units with no float, but senses from the fuel level on the pickup tube.

I always wanted to bring a 5 gallon can and run it to empty to see what it really does. 35-ish gallons is not enough if we cover some miles. We can easily do 100+ miles in a day and that's right on dicey on the gauge but by my math at worst case 7 GPH (6-7 GPH when I've measured) I should have 150+ mile range.
    makes sense. i've wanted to do that as well but instead i just always top it off after every outing.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!