Thread: 86 salty

Default 86 salty

So the Mrs has greenlit a boat after I repaired my parents 87 mastercraft tristar 190. I happened to come across an 86 saltare with the 454. I haven’t seen it in person but the guy is claiming it’s lake ready. I’m going to try and call him within the next day or so and ask about the stringers. He’s asking $5000 for it and it comes with a trailer. It appears to have a nice tower and a bimini as well. I’ve been browsing this forum since I found the boat and know that if the stringers haven’t been done or have the documentation to support a claim that they have that it’s an inevitable thing that’ll need done. I’m pretty damn handy at both fiberglass/body work and turning wrenches in general so I’m confident that I have the skills to tackle any repairs that may come up. I mean, I did just rebuild the velvet drive in the above mentioned mastercraft and I grew up around my stepdad that restores corvettes so I think we’re good. My main question is if this guy’s asking price is reasonable? Of course I won’t pay asking price but just trying to get a feel on what it’s actually worth if say it’s mechanically sound and would need just new floor and stringers. Our family wakeboards, kneeboards and are wanting to start surfing and although I’d love me a new Supra or centurion, I don’t want to pay that price. So if I can get this boat and customize it and even going crazy with it be all in for 10-15k and keep it for several years then I’d be tickled pink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Sunsport 22v

I think it is a reasonable starting price. Looks decent but bring yourself a socket set and check the motor mounts.
    Another $1k off would be a better deal if no stringer repair but 5k is a good starting point.
    Saltare is a great boat but also a big boat so gonna need all the extra cash you can throw at it.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Boats kept on lifts are often rode hard and put up wet. Their trailers left at the mercy of the sun. This one's looking a little rough around the edges but some care has been taken at some point with the stickers and non-slip. $4-5k is a good starting point.

Good luck!

I’m currently in Alaska for work so my parents are going with my wife to check the boat over this weekend. What size wrench/socket do I need to tell my dad to take so he can check the motor mount bolts in the stringers?

If we do end up picking this up I can already envision it. Keep the hull the way it is and go with an almost solid red interior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 Sunsport 22v