Default Changing transmission fluid on 07 22SSV

I read the book on changing the transmission fluid and cleaning the filter. But access to the bolts on the bottom of the transmision look to be very challanging to access and there is only about 1" of space between the bottom of the transmission and the boat hull. I'm not sure how I would get the filter out and back in.

Has anyone done this and are there any tricks to make it easier(other than paying a dealer)? Thanks

Default Re: Changing transmission fluid on 07 22SSV

Quote Originally Posted by strayerr
    I read the book on changing the transmission fluid and cleaning the filter. But access to the bolts on the bottom of the transmision look to be very challanging to access and there is only about 1" of space between the bottom of the transmission and the boat hull. I'm not sure how I would get the filter out and back in.

Has anyone done this and are there any tricks to make it easier(other than paying a dealer)? Thanks
    It is a very difficlut job. You have to disconnect the propshaft from the output flange of the transmission. Loosen the pull pins on the front motor mounts. Support the back of the engine with a chain hoist. Disconnect the rear transmission mounts from the boat stringers and lift the rear of the engine far enough to get at the filter. When you put it all back together, you will have to realign the engine.

Great advice from Engine Nut. This is the most important tranny service to have done. It is best to have it done by a certified dealer. Brian Raymond

Wow -- how's that for some profound design and engineering. Next thing you'll have to do is pull the motor to change the plugs.

Thanks for the feedback. This is a lot of work and risks creating other problems by moving the motor each year. Is the 24SSV the same amount of work?