Default 1987 sunsport mounting brackets question

Does anyone have a picture of what the inside mounting area looks like for an older sunsport? My lower ski platform bracket bolts seem loose and the mounting area seems mushy.

I pulled the tank out a while back to rebuild the rudder port, but I can’t remember what the situation was. I am pretty sure the upper bolts mount to a piece of aluminum plate that is tapped for the bolts, but I can’t remember if there is access to the lower bolts or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to decide if pulling the gas tank would get me access to repair and glass that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

You need to pull the gas tank, but if you have an original floor you will not be able to access the lower bolts from the inside. Unfortunately .... the design is terrible. The platform is bolted into plywood that is encapsulated in fiberglass. From the factory they used only tee-nuts in the plywood. But the plywood rots, and leaves you with a mushy void between the outer transom surface and fiberglass inside surface. There becomes no way to tighten the bolts.
    I cut all mine out from the inside, epoxy set new plywood, glassed over that and through-bolted the platforms mounts.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    C Suggs

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was afraid of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

how do you pull the tank on this era Sunsport? my rear storage compartment doesn't seem removable to be able to get at the tank.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Remove the back seat and the tanks slides out.

C Suggs

Quote Originally Posted by nboardskier View Post
    Remove the back seat and the tanks slides out.

thanks a bunch!
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!