Default La Brisa PCM 5.8 HO

Hey new member here!

Just picked up my first boat, a 94 La Brisa with the PCM 5.8 HO.

Love the boat so far! Ran pretty terrible the first weekend though

Ran great for about 2 mins, then had a terrible miss over 2500 rpm. From the information I found here, sounded like maybe the oil or temp sensor throwing crazy signals and putting it in limp mode. Disconnected each one and it ran slightly better sometimes, but still mostly was in limp mode.

To hopefully eliminate all issues I ordered the PCM Mallory distributor conversion from skidim and two new sensors. Anyone have tips or tricks for installing that kit? I will hopefully install this week and test this weekend.

I assume it still has the ProTec ignition? Does it still have the TBI setup or was it converted to carb?

I'd go with a DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) unit to convert to distributor. If it still has fuel injection, do not toss if for a carb, you can keep running it without the ProTec ignition.

It looks like a standard carb to me. Which was confusing because it says electronic fuel injection on the cover.

Oops is the DUI option better than the mallory kit?
    Last edited by 94labrisa; 09-06-2018 at 02:45 PM.

1994 was originally fuel injection, it was probably acting up and a previous owner swapped it out. I think you'll be fine with the Mallory kit, I missed the part where you said you already ordered it. A lot of people choose to go with the DUI setup due to cost. There is a ton of info about the conversion, and the ProTec system in general, on the correct craft fan website. I had a 1994 Comp still running ProTec ignition and fuel injection, was doing a lot of research so I knew what to do when the time came. Ended up selling it before it had issues and bought a 1995 Comp.

Got the kit Friday afternoon and was out on the boat Saturday afternoon! Runs great... once I wired the distributor the correct rotation and set the engine to TDC on the right stroke. Fun lessons in engine timing with Dad!