Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Purchasing a used Supra

Good day Folks,

I hope I won’t be touching topics that have been discussed thousands of times but I haven’t been successful searching for a few of these...

I’m currently looking at a 2004 Launch SSC Gravity Games. The boat as less then 400 hours and has a brand new interior, covers and top. Has all 3 upgraded ballasts (bags) with pumps which is good as we would like to us it for surfing. So it looks pretty clean...I’m in Canada boat I would be getting the boat for about 24k$ USD.

Now, I know it has 14 years and I can’t expect perfection but I’m hoping to make the best out of this.

Anyhow, I have a few questions...hopefully not dumb ones:

The boat has cushions through the bow so a lot less floor « square footage » but I’m wondering what is the floor made of? I went to see a Malibu and th floor was soft all over that led me to believe it was wood...wondering what is under te carpet of the Supra.

Additionally, the boat has some gel coat cracks in both corners above the rear seats. From what I can see it’s strickly surface and not structural but I’m wondering if this is a common issue.

Anything I should be looking out for in this boat?

I’m considering having a boat survey done, and would love opionions on this as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Wrexxer View Post
    Good day Folks,

I hope I won’t be touching topics that have been discussed thousands of times but I haven’t been successful searching for a few of these...

I’m currently looking at a 2004 Launch SSC Gravity Games. The boat as less then 400 hours and has a brand new interior, covers and top. Has all 3 upgraded ballasts (bags) with pumps which is good as we would like to us it for surfing. So it looks pretty clean...I’m in Canada boat I would be getting the boat for about 24k$ USD.

Now, I know it has 14 years and I can’t expect perfection but I’m hoping to make the best out of this.

Anyhow, I have a few questions...hopefully not dumb ones:

The boat has cushions through the bow so a lot less floor « square footage » but I’m wondering what is the floor made of? I went to see a Malibu and th floor was soft all over that led me to believe it was wood...wondering what is under te carpet of the Supra.

Additionally, the boat has some gel coat cracks in both corners above the rear seats. From what I can see it’s strickly surface and not structural but I’m wondering if this is a common issue.

Anything I should be looking out for in this boat?

I’m considering having a boat survey done, and would love opionions on this as well?

I would definitely get a compression test on the engine. While this may seem like overkill to some it saved me from purchasing an otherwise great looking Malibu a few years back. A survey for two or three hundred dollars is money well
    spent when laying out that kind of money. Peace of mind !

What the previous posted mentioned - compression check.

Stress cracks in gel coats are normal for older boats. Sometimes even in newer boats which makes the owners furious.

Can't t say I've read about rotten floors in boats in the year 2000s.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

The test ride will tell you a lot. Bring a boating friend, ask questions and make sure everything is working. Take turns driving.

Feel how the boat shifts in/out of gear.

Keep the hatch open when getting the boat on plane. Listen for engine noises or knocks.

Look for leaks in the bilge. Usually people will clean them up if the boat has one.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Thanks for the tips!

I’m going to test ride it tomorrow and will test everything i can..

And if all checks out I have a marine survey scheduled for Monday.

They will verify:
    -Humidity levels in the hull
    -Plug into the motor for hours, engines codes and check compression
    -Validate serial #s
    -If there’s a lean on the boat

All for 400$ CAN...seems like a good investment.

The boat is amazingly clean but I don’t want to be influenced by lipstick and makeup...had a bad experience with the ex!

« It’s what’s inside that count »!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wrexxer View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

I’m going to test ride it tomorrow and will test everything i can..

And if all checks out I have a marine survey scheduled for Monday.

They will verify:
    -Humidity levels in the hull
    -Plug into the motor for hours, engines codes and check compression
    -Validate serial #s
    -If there’s a lean on the boat

All for 400$ CAN...seems like a good investment.

The boat is amazingly clean but I don’t want to be influenced by lipstick and makeup...had a bad experience with the ex!

« It’s what’s inside that

One of the best decisions you could ever make because either way you win!
    Either a great boat to purchase or not, in which case you saved yourself from throwing away tens of thousands of dollars.
    Good luck!

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
    2018 Supra SL400

Hey Folks,

The inspection/survey is scheduled for Thursday so I asked the owner to take the boat of the water and say the surprise in the attached pic...wtf?

This looks like a deal breaker to me...

The boat was sitting the water for most of the time when not in use?
    Not on a lift?

Hard to see that pic on my iPhone.
    2018 Supra SL400

In the water...this was the first year doing so.