Default Amp wiring question - does size matter?

Just picked up a used ‘07 24SSV with stock speakers and sub but the previous owner had installed 2 HT4 amps. They are running what looks like 10awg power and ground wires to the amps and it calls for 4awg.

My question is wondering if I truly need to upgrade and how soon? The wiring mess leaves a lot to be desired but fixed 75% of it as I upgraded the factory headinit to a new Kenwood Bluetooth model today.

Default Amp wiring question - does size matter?

Sure it does. That sounds right on the size 4 from the battery to the unit.

I assume the smaller wire and a big power draw could potentially cause wire to melt, poor performance, or damage to the amp b/c of not enough power.

How long do you think the boat was running with smaller wire?

Do you have an in-line fuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 09-15-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400

There is a guy on here, MLA, installs marine systems. He might add some insight to running improper wire sizing.

2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    Sure it does. That sounds right on the size 4 from the battery to the unit.

I assume the smaller wire and a big power draw could potentially cause wire to melt, poor performance, or damage to the amp b/c of not enough power.

How long do you think the boat was running with smaller wire?

Do you have an in-line fuse?
    Yes, both amps have fuses and I don’t think too long as dealer I bought it from said they just had them installed.

Just bought a HT6 to replace one of the HT4 amps as my winter project is to replace all of the speakers in the boat, subwoofer and add a pair of REV8s. I’ll rewire the amps and knock it out all at once.

Thanks for everyone’s help...I knew it had to be done but wondering if there was an emergent need to do so.

Good call on replacing the wire.

10 vs. 4 is a pretty big difference.

Sucks if the dealer installed the unit and just ignored the recommendation from the wet sounds documentation.

Most people on here replaced their wires when they upgraded. Same with the Moomba Forum.

When you do the tower, pick a day when you have a lot of patience. That is a PITA.

2018 Supra SL400