Default New or Used Supra

When I joined this Forum, I was looking at buying a 1986 Sunsport as an additional boat to my Formula and Boston Whaler. I sit here today having sold my Formula and shopping for a much more expensive Supra Surf boat. (Surfing is very powerful) I have been doing research for 4 weeks non-stop including 3 flights to look at used 2018 SE's. Here are my questions and I would love ANY INPUT:

Is the technology from the 2014 SC to the Newer 2018 SE's going to make the surf experience any different?

Why are there so many 2018 SE's for sale and not many SL's?

What is a comfortable amount of hours to buy a used boat with? I am thinking under 150. I am only considering Fresh water boats.

I have it narrowed down to 3 possibilities: (here is where I need advise)

1. 2014 SC's- a few to choose from with less than 150 hours for around $75K (before negotiating)
    2. 2018 SE's- there are only a few to choose from with low hours but lots with 400 or less Should I be worried about high hours if they seem to be taken care of? These are in the $90K to $110 range
    3. 2019 SE- $140kish This will include taking a loan out to afford. Is the tech worth the coin? Will it hold its value better than the 18 SE or even the 14 SC?

Looking forward to comments. I am having trouble narrowing it to one of these options so I can go pull the trigger.

QKASURF

Well I'm looking forward to the responses on this one. I just bought a 2014 Supra 242 Launch and I love the boat. The electronics can be a bit annoying sometimes. I've got the over size rear bags and it makes a wake great for riders up to about 200lbs. I'm 240 and had to put a wake shaper on it to get the push I need. But it could be my technique. Or being a newbie on the surfing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr717 View Post
    Well I'm looking forward to the responses on this one. I just bought a 2014 Supra 242 Launch and I love the boat. The electronics can be a bit annoying sometimes. I've got the over size rear bags and it makes a wake great for riders up to about 200lbs. I'm 240 and had to put a wake shaper on it to get the push I need. But it could be my technique. Or being a newbie on the surfing.

Push can be the hardest thing to get a handle on. The boat itself will make a huge wave. I've kinda taken a pause on trying to figure mine out. I'd love to hear what others have to say.
    David
    2011 Supra Launch 242

Quote Originally Posted by QKASURF View Post

Is the technology from the 2014 SC to the Newer 2018 SE's going to make the surf experience any different?
    The output you will get off the back of the boat would be better on the SE mostly b/c of hull and the length of the boat - 24 vs 21

Far better technology on an 2018 vs 2014:
    AutoWake 2
    Swell Surf Sys
    SmartPlate
    Launch System
    2018 Supra SL400

Why are there so many 2018 SE's for sale and not many SL's?

QKASURF
    Hmmm. not exactly sure on that one. SC does not make that many Supra boats compared to some of the other brands.

SE hull was a very popular and proven boat. That model came out in 2015. Gets better each year.
    I would bet there was a bigger demand for SE (more models built) vs SL.

SL was the new kid on the block in 2018.
    Also thinking b/c of the smaller number in production and newer model, most SL buyers are not selling unless they are looking at the 2019 SE.
    Then you are talking about a big price hike with probably not much difference in the technology or wake.

For example:
    2015 SE vs 2019 SE - difference in tech
    2018 SL vs 2019 SE - not that much difference in tech
    Surf Tabs?
    With or Without Autowake?
    And all are great boats.

Most people that are in the SE 2015-16-17-18 are now looking at the 2019s and the new stuff on that.
    2019 SE is a big boat. Some people want the biggest and best.
    Buyers have been looking for a model to go against the Gs and BUs
    2018 Supra SL400

What is a comfortable amount of hours to buy a used boat with? I am thinking under 150. I am only considering Fresh water boats.

QKASURF
    Buying a boat up North will probably have 75-100 hours per year on avg.
    Buying a boat in the South will probably have 100-150 hours per year on avg.

Boaters that fork out the money for an Supra SE or SL will use their boats. More that what is listed above.
    Most take the maintenance serious and will have the documentation to prove it.

400 hours in one year? Could be a boat that was purchased late in 2017.

The Ford motor has been around since 2015. The only consistent issues I hear about are the O2 sensors and noise - louder that the GM block motors

Yes, on freshwater only. Stay away from anything 'brackish'.
    2018 Supra SL400

1. 2014 SC's- a few to choose from with less than 150 hours for around $75K (before negotiating)
    2. 2018 SE's- there are only a few to choose from with low hours but lots with 400 or less Should I be worried about high hours if they seem to be taken care of? These are in the $90K to $110 range
    3. 2019 SE- $140kish This will include taking a loan out to afford. Is the tech worth the coin? Will it hold its value better than the 18 SE or even the 14 SC?

QKASURF
    Are you planning on keeping the boat or selling in 3-5 years?

I do not see how to compare a SC vs SE. Mainly the size difference and they do not make the SC anymore (now SR)

75K for a 4-5 year old 21' boat VS 100K for 1-2 year old 24' boat
    For 25K there is a lot more boat in the SE.

If you have a small crew, the SC size would work.
    If you take other families with you, the SC will start to get cramped.
    The big (early) depreciation hit is already taken.

A 2018 SE would be the "best-buy". If you can find a left-over 2018, dealers are dumping anything with an 18 in the model so they do not have winter layover.
    If you tow, you will need a good-rig to tow and brake all that weight.
    Since the 2019 is being advertised as so much 'better", this hurts the values of the 18s b/c of more interest/demand for 19s.
    If you buy private, there is a dealer fee to get the warranty transferred.

A 2019 SE has the bigger price hike ?around 8-10%?.
    Because it's so new, I verdict is still out on the new dash. Looks great, but buys have not used it or tested it over time.
    The 2019 boat looks killer. I really like the adds on the new hull, vinyl, sub floor ballast, more std ballast, back seats, walk thru, folding tower.

My pick is the 2018 SE. I would take the 2018 SL, but that is not on your list. I found one seller for a 2018 SL, but the person wanted a lot of $$. No deal there. Not sure there will be too many 2018 SL deals out there.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 09-27-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by Mr717 View Post
    I'm 240 and had to put a wake shaper on it to get the push I need.

If you have the 242 and you are surfing, is there any other alternative besides a wake-shaper?
    Unless you are going to install after-market surf tabs.

242 will need the big 1100 bags in the back. You can also add lead or extra ballast bags in the back on the surf side.
    Upgrade the prop and you will not have take-off issues.
    At 240#, you should not have an issue. I'm under that by 10-20#s and have no issues. But I've seen bigger people ride it.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by MJHKnox View Post
    If you have the 242 and you are surfing, is there any other alternative besides a wake-shaper?
    Unless you are going to install after-market surf tabs.

242 will need the big 1100 bags in the back. You can also add lead or extra ballast bags in the back on the surf side.
    Upgrade the prop and you will not have take-off issues.
    At 240#, you should not have an issue. I'm under that by 10-20#s and have no issues. But I've seen bigger people ride it.
    Haven't looked at surf tabs. I already have the 1100# bags. I think. Cause they are definitely aftermarket. That said, the wake shaper made a pretty substantial difference. Only had the boat since May this year.

Really do not need surf tabs b/c the wake shapers work well.

Your aftermarket bags will not say 1100 on them. But a 1100# bag will measure 50x24x24. They will fill your back lockers.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400