Default Anyone put a transom mount depth finder on an older comp?

Since we've had the boat not having a depth finder has been a bit scary to me. Finally got one as a wedding gift (god bless living in the south). Just curious as to the best routing of wire and where to let it come out the back (I assume above the waterline?). Transducer at the bottom center of the transom? Or side?

Mount the transducer inside on the thinner part of the hull near the rudder. use a thick coat of marine epoxi no air bubbles between the hull and transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Mount the transducer inside on the thinner part of the hull near the rudder. use a thick coat of marine epoxi no air bubbles between the hull and transducer.
    Will that work even with a transom mount transducer? i was under the impression it's a different type of transducer for thruhull/

Put the boat in the water . Take a Ziploc bag and fill it 1/2 with water with the Gage installed and turned on place the transducer on top of the bag of water on the inside of the hull where I said before. You can move it around to find the best location.