Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 1991 Supra Comp

Default 1991 Supra Comp - MOTOR / TRANNY

With finding pieces of rubber impeller in the raw water pump, best to check the T-stat too. Hard to believe, but it was the original thermostat. The gasket was painted silver from factory and it did not want to budge once we got the bolts out. Did not find any more impeller pieces thankfully.

We did find cracks in most all water hoses along with fuel line hoses and that was just the start. We found a nice size crack in the distributor cap also.
    I ended up ordering over $350.00 in parts the next day from SkiDim including new filters, water separator, plugs, cap and plug wires, belts, hoses, and myriad of other stuff such as flappers for exhaust that were damaged.

Those mufflers are brand new. Not sure if this boat came with mufflers or previous owner decided to add. They have a date code of 3/20/18. There are some issues with the riser gaskets that I will show later.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default 1991 Supra Comp - MOTOR / TRANNY

Time to pull out tranny and find out what is going on with it. The bolts did not want to loosen on prop shaft but eventually with some super strength and WD40, came undone. The prop shaft coupler had a lot of play in it and the woodruff key was not particularly doing its job well. The couplers are brass and designed to give if you were to hit prop shaft to minimize the damage. More on this in next posts.

The tranny I bought off FB showed up and was used with a Chevy 350 motor. Notice the red arrows in the 3rd pic below which are pointing at arrows that tell you direction of tranny. Previous owner of tranny had a 351W and swapped to 350 but did not swap tranny direction. When he engaged his boat in reverse for the first time backing off trailer, it went forward instead. He sent me a note making sure to unbolt and rotate 180 confirming arrows line up according to the bad unit I yank out or I would have same issue as he did. This pic confirms the difference. The tranny on the right is from my boat.

My goal is to swap tranny and then open up the bad unit to find the failure. I might rebuild it and place back on the market if it is reasonable to do so.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default UPDATE: February 2023

UPDATE: February 2023

Another post for the Comp. She is still a work in progress. I found a guy locally to my main house that said he could make me a bracket for the swim platform to match the existing 2 that survived. They are made of aluminum and he specializes in that type of welding. Waited 4 months and never heard from him so I went to his place to see if he had done anything. He had but it was pretty sad. It was a small job and he does big stuff and had no time for me so he had one of his guys throw it together last minute after repeated calls. He charged me $65 bucks. I left disappointed in his work but had just met the guy that lives near my lake house that did my coupler. See thread.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...hlight=coupler

So new shop is great and was enthusiastic about helping me out again on a small project. One employee is the man when it comes to welding aluminum. Wish I had met this shop sooner. Anyway, I gave him the original brackets and within a week, he had it finished. It is near perfect. Hard to tell the difference in old and new. He also said he had a friend that does powder coating and would help me out to make them all look consistent. Cool.

Couple days later, I got a call that the paint shop sandblaster went down and he will be delayed. So I called TitanTn near Chattanooga and asked if he could help me out since I knew he had one. The brackets needed to be sandblasted prior to powder coating because the two originals were anodized from the factory. TitanTn said come on over and we spent a few hours one evening trying to get these blasted at his place. We also encountered a few issues that evening with his setup but eventually got them done. (fun time, thanks for dinner Mrs. TitanTn)

Next day, I was back near lake house dropping them off at the paint shop to be powder coated. 2 weeks later I got the call that they were done and what a surprise they were. I was very pleased with how they turned out. Cost for making and baking was only $120.00 which I thought was a good deal.

First pic showing the new one sandwiched between the two originals next to the $65 crappy one.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default UPDATE: February 2023

UPDATE: February 2023

First two pics show brackets after the sandblasting prior to powder coating. Really hard to tell the difference in the three, however, if you look closely, you will see a small circle with a number in the top two brackets. Those are the originals. Some kind of stamp they had on the metal I guess.

Finished product. Went with a gloss black instead of a silver.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242