Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 1991 Supra Comp

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    Did you know if we did a reunion just between the two of us, we'd have 11 boats; 9 inboards with 2 pontoons...and a jet ski?

Would make for a great photo op and...glad I'm not the only one with an addiction.
    Which place for the photo op of the Georgia Navy?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Which place for the photo op of the Georgia Navy?
    Blasphemy to take the GA Navy out of state. They need more border security to protect the 'glass'.
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief IV View Post
    MORE BEFORE PICS:

did you put straps around the back of the boat so it wouldn't flex when you took it apart?

That is more to keep the transom down as most Comps do not have transom tie downs like other boats and trailers.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by 1990 Supra Conbrio View Post
    did you put straps around the back of the boat so it wouldn't flex when you took it apart?
    As Jetlink said, tie down to transport across town. This boat did not come apart.

I need to update this thread. Maybe this weekend.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default 1991 Supra Comp - UPHOLSTERY

I keep meaning to update this thread and then never do. Have been over at Michael Hunter's place several times recently inspecting his work on his '85 Comp and so it gave me pause for thought and I realized I have just been lazy in not uploading new pics.
    I have a lot going on boat wise and can't believe it has already been a year since I got upholstery done on this one.

The shop I went with did a real good job, not great, but very good. I had to take it back to them after 3 items I found were not done correctly or that I was disappointed with. They were a bit arrogant and gave me some push back but kept their word ultimately to make all of it correct...after they kicked me down the road for several months. Finally, I was told to bring the boat in and they would have it done in 2 days. I got there and they said they had no room for it. I said I just drove 54 miles with a boat and you're just now telling me you can't take it? You guys called me 3 days ago and said bring it over. I kept my cool but so perturbed as I pulled out of their parking lot. Finally, 6 weeks later they called and said bring it over. I said are you sure this time? They got it done in 2 days.

In the end, I probably overpaid for the work they did but I am happy it is done and pleased with how it ultimately looks. I went with some high quality vinyl and we matched it well to the gelcoat and carpet color.

I have since found a new upholstery shop that has treated me with respect thus far along with great communication, great attitude, and great service. They are only 46 miles from the house but you have to travel to find quality nowadays and I hope for better success going forward.

I added the racing stripes to the engine cover. Michael Hunter had it on his '92 Comp before he re-did his upholstery and my wife liked it. She thought the amount of white in the boat was bit too much and so I decided to stay true to Supra's concept on other years or models, just wasn't original to this boat. Some like it, some don't. Since I bought this and other boats without telling her first, I am lucky to get to restore it and now that she's happy, I'm happy.

BEFORE PIC

AFTER PIC

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Few more pics on the upholstery showing before and after. I decided to cut down on the seams by doing 3 stripe vs 4 stripe which gives me same effect but one less seam to split open. For the bow storage at OB seat, I opted for a small pull instead of those two upholstered grab handles for a more streamlined look.

Before the upholstery went in, cleaned up the plastic seat bases best we could.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

On the rear seat, we added red piping over the hinge in between seat and ski locker. Again, break some of that white up. This is another detail I have seen on other Comps and preferred it to what was original.

The red piping on the rear cushions did not line up evenly and appeared to be wavy so I made them re-do all of them. These pics are after I got it home the first time but before they made the final changes.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

After having the platform rebuilt, I went with SeaDek for the new pads. The original mat was very thin compared to the newer materials out today. Instead of just 2 black nondescript pieces, I added the border with old Supra logo. Very pleased with results. Colors in these pics vary because I have fluorescent lighting in garage.

Hagman was looking for the original material for the bow step but I gave up the search and went with a softer and consistent material that matches to my swim platform. SeaDek offers their material in several thicknesses and I chose this style which is just about the thickness of a quarter. They put a nice routed edge on it and I'm happy with how it looks. They also duplicated the two dash pads to original specs.

BEFORE PIC

AFTER PIC

BOW STEP This pic showing only the middle piece glued on while the outer two are just laying there.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default 1991 Supra Comp - MOTOR / TRANNY

It was time to start working on this motor and tranny now that the gelcoat was done, the carpet was done, and the upholstery finished. Let's find out what's going on with this 30 year old boat and get her back on the water. Previous owner stated the tranny went out and had nothing in forward or reverse. He stated the motor ran great all summer and had just been winterized when I bought it December of '18.

Forum member MJHKnox, being the great guy he is, found someone selling a PCM 40 1.23:1 tranny on FB and passed his number on to me seeing I might need one to replace mine. This tranny was also from a 1991 Comp which was the 10th Anniversary Edition (a.k.a. the white whale) that unfortunately had a tree fall on it so the owner was looking to part it out to recoup his money after he just spent a wad restoring it.

Forum member NGAVChris came down to help me remove the tranny as he had experience from doing his back in the day on his '97 Sunsport, not to mention, he is just a better mechanic than I am. We spent nine hours one Sunday breaking it down finding a multitude of issues that would need to be addressed before she ran again.

I think two words sum up a lot of what we found...deferred maintenance.

JUST NASTY!

WRONG FAN BELT. AN AUTOMOTIVE STYLE BELT WAS USED VS PCM. PIC SHOWING DIFFERENCE. UPPER ONE IS INCORRECT AND MUCH SMALLER.

HERE AGAIN, $13.00 AUTOMOTIVE BELT VS. CORRECT $23.00 PCM BELT FOR 351W.

FOUND OLD IMPELLER PIECES IN WATER PUMP. THIS IS ACTUALLY THE SIDE OF THE PUMP WHERE THE WATER IS INPUT FROM LAKE. THAT CAN'T BE GOOD.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242