Default 94 Sunsport Continuing Issues

We continue to have issues with our 94 Sunsport 5.8L Pro Boss. For the past 6 years we have had what sounds like a lifter tick. Replacing the lifters helped a bit but not much. Hate to have to pull the engine to find the problem.

Also have warm start problem where the oil pressure switch (the one that sends it into limp mode if it doesn't sense oil pressure) doesn't allow fuel to the engine right away. After fooling around with it for a few minutes, it finally starts. Replacing the switch didn't seem to help things.

Any wisdom would be very much appreciated. Wife wants the boat gone.

Is this EFI Pro Boss? If so they can be cantankerous. If it was a carbed one, I'd feel comfortable advising, but I know just enough to know not to comment on the EFI Pro Boss motors. My best advice would be email or call Vince at Discount Inboard Marine. (803) 345-0996 www.skidim.com

If it is an EFI motor, and it was mine, I would personally pull off the EFI and coil pack ignition and replace it with an Edelbrock low rise intake manifold (EDL-2181), a Holley 4160 carb, and Mallory distributor and wiring harness kit from skidim to replace the aging and troublesome electronic coil pack ignition. My carbed 92 Pro Boss was never the motor it should have been until I replaced the 4010 carb with a 4160 and dumped the electronic ignition for the mallory kit. It has purred like a kitten for a decade now since doing so.

1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

Thanks for the reply. I've been talking to Vince and this one has him stumped too. Yes, it is the PCM Pro-Tec electronic ignition and fuel injection. Not sure at this point whether i want to put more money into this boat due to the "lifter tick". If that noise is coming from a wrist pin or something inside one cylinder, we are looking at a long block. If i was sure the Pro-Tec was totally bad, I would do it in a second.