Default Explain my fuel system to me

I purchased a '98 Sunsport over the winter, and I'm a little confused by the fuel system on this thing. It appears as though there are two fuel pumps... The one hanging off the front of the engine with the filter below it, and then what I believe is a low pressure pump in-line before it. Is the low pressure pump an add-on to prevent vapor-locking? Also, I read on another thread here that the fuel pump/filter assemblies that hang off the front of the engine like mine were recalled; does anyone know if this is true? I called Supra, and the guy I talked to wasn't sure about a recall. Mine appears to be missing the cover that slides over the top of it, but I'm not really sure how it functions to be honest. I've had no luck finding a parts diagram for this thing.

The tall skinny pump is the high pressure pump. The other one is low pressure, high volume, and is responsible for pulling gas out of your tank. It's the low pressure pump that gets activated when you turn on the ignition, to prime the high pressure pump, prior to starting your engine. That is the extent of my knowledge except that the pumps do fail and so I always keep a spare of each on hand. It's an easy replacement and so it wouldn't necessarily ruin my whole weekend if it fails. I keep a full toolbox on board and in my truck. I own a 2002 Supra Launch.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk