Hybrid View

Default 1990 Sunsport revs to 2000 rpm then won't go any faster. Reverse works fine

If it's weighed down, we won't be able to plane out and get to a cruising speed. If it's just me and a few two others, it'll slowly accelerate, but eventually get to an okay wakeboarding speed.

The engine revs easily to 5-6k rpms in reverse, but under load in forward, it struggles once it gets to 2000 rpms.

I initially thought it was a fuel delivery problem, but since it works fine in reverse, I'm wondering if it's a problem with the butterfly valves on the carb, or the throttle cable itself.

Has anyone seen anything like this on their boats?

How much weight are you pushing? The prop spins easier in reverse much like removing a screw . Do you still have points?

Yes, still has point style ignition system. I'll look them over today.

The weight I'm pushing when won't get above 22-2400 RPMs is just the boat loaded with wakeboard supplies and 4 adults.

Start with checking the dwell on the points. The points need to be replaced yearly . If you don't have a dwell meter you can set them with a clean feeler gauge. Set the points then the timing. If that doesn't help the carb will probably need a rebuild. I gave up on points I have 3 boats with 351 ford engines running on a GM HEI style distributors I am very happy with the results.

Everything seems to be working fine in the driveway when the engine is not under load. I noticed that I was low on transmission fluid, so I purchased a quart and filled it up. I'm taking it to the lake next week to test it on the water. I should also check the points and maybe give it a tune up before I go.

Here is an updated video I took today that shows the problem I've been having. https://youtu.be/uBkZyNnV2iE

Any thoughts?