Default '92 Sunsport Needs a New Tranny

Supra Gods,

We've had our 1992 Supra Sunsport for the last 7 years. It's been amazing!! This year our "boat guy" tells us that our transmission is dead. He said the cable works fine, but he doesn't know direct drive trannys very well. He gave me a number of a guy that works on them more regularly. This second mechanic claims that it's not cost effective to rebuild these transmissions anymore and that our best bet is to find a new one from a PCM dealer.

I'd love your take on whether it makes sense to try and find a place that will rebuilt it or if going the new route is best? Also, are there other models that we should consider? Here are the specs on our current transmission:

Make: PCM
    Model: PCM 40
    Ratio: 1.23/1
    Serial: 040.13117

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks -

DenverHams

The rebuild kit for the PCM 1.23 is over 500.00 . That dosn't include any hard parts. Expect to pay 1500.00 plus for a rebuild.

Thanks Michael. Where would you recommend I get a rebuild kit? And what would a new tranny cost? Should I just get a new one instead of rebuilding? I also heard the PCM 80A is an option to replace my PCM 40. Any insights there?

Thanks much!

They don't make the 40 any more I also heard the 80 is a replacement. These transmissions are very simple compared to a car or truck. I would ask your local car repair shop if they can steer you to a good trans man. You can also ask the dealer who they use.

i used fantastic finish marine in ohio who have a really good reputation with velvet drive rebuilds, shipped from CT. took the trans out myself (with some friends) which was easy, put it in a large hard plastic tote and shipped it to them for around $90 IIRC. they rebuilt it in about a week and sent out a new damper plate as well, i think all told it was around $1400 shipped back to me. it requires help putting it back in because lining everything up is the hard part, but it probably only took around 2-3 hours. much better than the $2500 my local shop was quoting me!
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Thanks Jtryon. This is a great alternative. I'll take a look at Fantastic Finish Marine. We'd love to save a few bucks. I also heard that there is a Hurth transmission that can be used as a replacement with the right adapter. Has anyone tried that? Or any other alternatives?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    They don't make the 40 any more I also heard the 80 is a replacement. These transmissions are very simple compared to a car or truck. I would ask your local car repair shop if they can steer you to a good trans man. You can also ask the dealer who they use.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    The rebuild kit for the PCM 1.23 is over 500.00 . That dosn't include any hard parts. Expect to pay 1500.00 plus for a rebuild.
    Tm0 no bnk90

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk