Default Starter on 89' COMP TSM not turning off

Hello,

I have a issue with my starter not shutting off once the engine is running. I have replaced the starter and the solenoid. I am pretty sure I have the wiring correct. Any thoughts? PCM FORD.

are you sure the solenoid you replaced it with is the correct one? i had the same problem and it was the solenoid, fixed it right away. try loosening the power wire to the solenoid enough so that once you start it, you can pop the wire off and see if the starter stops cranking. if it's not the solenoid there's not much else it could be on these older boats other than maybe the ignition switch itself getting stuck in the start position?
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

I will try that. I first got a cheap solenoid from NAPA and the damm thing broke apart as I was installing it. I got a heavier duty one from another parts supplier, and at least it didn't fall apart on me. I will try your idea. First thing i'm gonna do is install a kill switch so I can stop that from ever happening again. The draw from the starter melted the secondary terminals on the battery. I know the ignition switch is OEM, do these ever go bad?

you can always hit the main power button next to the key to kill it, for future reference.

the starter solenoid i got was a Prestolite SAZ4201GK which i know works. I got a 2-pack of them on ebay for $15 so that i have a spare, but that seller isn't selling them anymore. you can get one on amazon for around $25, or call skidim if you want to be sure you get the correct one for your application.

yes the ignition switch can go bad, mine did a while back. $20 for a replacement from skidim.

can you send a pic of how you wired the new solenoid? i can check against my wiring to make sure there's not something wrong with how you hooked it up.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!