Default Engine replacement - why so many?

I've owned several ski boats in the past, and currently looking for another. Boats will have issues and things will happen, but it seems like there are a lot of used boats, that are not that old, that have new engines. What is this likely from....not maintaining, winterizing, rough usage, etc? Just wondering if it is the owner, or if there are issues with newer boats/engines now, and if I need to look out for anything in particular. Thanks.

Shouldn't be if the engine is never overheated, oil is changed every fall, and it's winterized correctly.

Boggles the mind, it's like so many motorcycles without titles. Why do epople sell or buy them with no title, transferable registration, or other legal documentation? My best guess on boat engines is not winterizing them at all or properly.

95% of them are due to incorrect winterization, from what i've seen. i have an '88 PCM 351 with 1400 hours that doesn't burn a drop of oil between oil changes still. they are pretty simple to maintain, but sometimes even the dealer screws up winterization. do it yourself so you know it's done correctly!
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!