Default 1994 Mastercraft 205 owner considering 2007 22ssv

Hey just joined this forum as I really think a Supra 22ssv is my next boat. Came from slalom course skiing in the 90s still free ski at 36mph. I am 47 and have 2 wakeboard inverts. But surfing is fun and will eventually replace wakeboarding as it hurts more every year.
    Any thoughts on the 2007 22ssv? I see one kinda pricey ey but has aftermarket gates and FAE.

I have owned a 2007 21V for about a year now and it has been a great boat I have the indmar 325 in mine, which seems a little under-powered at times. What engine is in the model you are looking at? How many hours? If you are expecting skiing at 36 that will be at the very top range of the boat's capabilities, unless you change the prop. The only engine problem I have had is vapor lock. Based on what I have heard every single 2007-2008 Supra has this issue because they mounted the fuel pump directly to the engine. In 2009, they put the fuel pump in the gas tank so its not an issue. I solve my vapor lock issue by draping a wet towel over the fuel pump when anchored for swimming, works 100% of the time. The only other complaint I have is the gas tank size is only 30 gallons, which is small for this type of boat.

As far as surfing goes, stock it is not a great surf boat. I have 400 pound bags on each side in the rear and an 800 pound bag in the center. I can not get the wake right, the wave is not steep enough at 11-12 mph to support surfing. I have heard guys loading extra sacks in their boat get it right but that is not very convenient when you have the family out . It sounds like the boat you are looking at is setup well for surfing with the aftermarket gates...etc. I would ask about the ballast pumps, see if they have been replaced, the stock system is SUPPPERRRR slow to fill and empty... its a 20 minute process filling them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by ntkelly1 View Post
    I have owned a 2007 21V for about a year now and it has been a great boat I have the indmar 325 in mine, which seems a little under-powered at times. What engine is in the model you are looking at? How many hours? If you are expecting skiing at 36 that will be at the very top range of the boat's capabilities, unless you change the prop. The only engine problem I have had is vapor lock. Based on what I have heard every single 2007-2008 Supra has this issue because they mounted the fuel pump directly to the engine. In 2009, they put the fuel pump in the gas tank so its not an issue. I solve my vapor lock issue by draping a wet towel over the fuel pump when anchored for swimming, works 100% of the time. The only other complaint I have is the gas tank size is only 30 gallons, which is small for this type of boat.

As far as surfing goes, stock it is not a great surf boat. I have 400 pound bags on each side in the rear and an 800 pound bag in the center. I can not get the wake right, the wave is not steep enough at 11-12 mph to support surfing. I have heard guys loading extra sacks in their boat get it right but that is not very convenient when you have the family out . It sounds like the boat you are looking at is setup well for surfing with the aftermarket gates...etc. I would ask about the ballast pumps, see if they have been replaced, the stock system is SUPPPERRRR slow to fill and empty... its a 20 minute process filling them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks for the info. its the 5.7L 325 with 495 hours. Good to know about slalom speed and I know a great crossover boat cannot possibly exist but if I can get to 36 I'll be happy. I didn't realize the issue with vapor lock which is good to know. The ballast system has been completely upgraded 2 1100 bags + 600 ski locker and 250 bow and FAE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp00ky View Post
    Thanks for the info. its the 5.7L 325 with 495 hours. Good to know about slalom speed and I know a great crossover boat cannot possibly exist but if I can get to 36 I'll be happy. I didn't realize the issue with vapor lock which is good to know. The ballast system has been completely upgraded 2 1100 bags + 600 ski locker and 250 bow and FAE.
    Sounds like an awesome surf setup!! Mine tops out at about 35. There is a Supra fix for the vapor lock issue, it involves adding another inline fuel pump, but the kit is $500. The wet towel does the trick for me , I may fix it at some point but I would rather spend the money on upgrading my ballasts. Also be sure to ask about the ballast pump setup. With the bags being replaced I hope the previous owner upgraded the pump. As I said above, the stock pumps are extremely slow and have issues.
    Last edited by ntkelly1; 07-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.