Default Is an "SSV" designation an add on package or an actual model designation?

Greetings to all. After months of looking for a Wakesetter, I have come across a very nice Supra Sunsport 24 SSV. A quick check of NADA does not list a Sunsport with this model designation. I can find a Launch with this designation but no Sunsport with an SSV designation. I do find Sunsport models on NADA with SV/SK designations though. A Google search yields Launch SSV and SSV by itself, but no Sunsport SSV. Can someone please clarify exactly what an SSV is? Thanks.

Try to find the 24V.

Models were Launch or Sunsport in the 22 and 24.

Same Hull. Launch has the playpen. Sunsport has the walk through.

Standard bags can also be different b/c the Launch has more room in the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Quote Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
    Greetings to all. After months of looking for a Wakesetter, I have come across a very nice Supra Sunsport 24 SSV. A quick check of NADA does not list a Sunsport with this model designation. I can find a Launch with this designation but no Sunsport with an SSV designation. I do find Sunsport models on NADA with SV/SK designations though. A Google search yields Launch SSV and SSV by itself, but no Sunsport SSV. Can someone please clarify exactly what an SSV is? Thanks.
    What year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Its an 08. Just trying to learn what the "SSV" means. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vetplus40 View Post
    Let me see if I can clarify this for you.

For 2008, you had 10 different models of Supra.

1. Launch 20
    2. Launch 20SSV
    3. Launch 21 V
    4. Launch 22SSV
    5. Launch 24SSV
    6. Gravity Games 24SSV
    7. Sunsport 20V
    8. Sunsport 22V
    9. Sunsport 24V
    10. World Edition (ALL NEW for 2008 ) on Launch 20, Launch 20SSV, Launch 21V, Launch 22SSV and 24SSV models.

The V indicates V-drive to distinguish it from the Launch direct drive which they introduced back in 1999. They had both models until 2008 which was the last year for Supra to make a DD boat. See number 1 above.

The SS indicates Sports Seating. It is a model designation found on the Launch series only. You will not find a boat called the Sunsport SSV as it had the walk-through bow as MJHKnox indicated earlier in his post although the Sunsport did have rear facing seating configurations. There are no SV/ SK designations either.

The Launch was more pro rider where as the Sunsport catered to the weekend warrior or general watersports enthusiasts crowd.

From the beginning, the SS models had the Rad-A-Cage tower, 3 bag ballast system, adjustable wake plate and a swivel head pylon. Supra actually had rear-facing stadium seating on 2003 models which are standard nowadays hence the Sports Seating designation. The 2008 model allowed up to 6 passengers to directly face the rider.

For 2008, you also got the Gravity III ballast bag system which was a 300% improvement over earlier bag systems along with the Perfect Pass and the SmartPlate which allowed you to add up to 8 riders with their preferred settings.
    The Supra Ride System optimized straight-line tracking, speed control and time to plane while automatically adjusting at all times to rider preference for wake shape and hole shot. You could also upgrade to the new 6 liter 409 HP if you had the extra cash.

Hope this helps you out.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

From an '08 brochure showing the SSV seating configuration with the token hotties; however, I doubt that most won't even notice the seats Enjoy!

Last edited by Mischief IV; 07-30-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: My train of thought derailed. There were no survivors.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

If you are looking for values, based on 2008 boats and if both boat models did NOT have any upgrades, the 24 Launch and 24 SunSport would be about the same price for a 12 year old boat (2020s will be out in the next few weeks - I just looked at a 2020 SL at the dealer). The Worlds Editions are worth a little more money b/c they had almost every Supra option on them - including the bad-graphics - probably good back in 2008.

The difference in prices on 2008 model boats are the upgrades to get the boats closer to current models for activities like surfing. 2008 is out of date on:
    - Stereo Package/Speakers
    - Ballast Pumps
    - Standard Ballast Bags

If you wake board, the boat will be fine with Standard or Upgrade options.
    If you plan on surfing, no way the standard equipment in 2008 will make you happy. Thus a 2008 with those upgrades is worth a little more money.
    2018 Supra SL400

Actually you can get the playpen or walk through in both models. I have a Sunsport with a playpen bow. The only real difference is the seating in the back which the Sunsport has stairs and a walk through to the stern.

The reason I didn't buy a Supra in 08 was the seating . I told the rep at the Chicago boat show if you could build me a boat with the front walk through of a Sunsport and the rear seating of a launch no stairs I would buy is . The answer was no. A few years later they did build them. I guess I wasn't the only one asking for that layout.

Agree. Depends on the year, then were phased out.

I think I recall viewing a 22 launch in the manuals in 2011 with stairs.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400