Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default **SOLD** 1988 Supra Sunsport with automated surf system, lots of upgrades - $4,500

Testing the waters on this because I'm looking to get into a v-drive for next season. I know late Summer is not the best time to sell, but if someone was looking to buy now it might make my new boat search more comfortable.

1988 Supra Sunsport with PCM 351, ~1400 hours (will get exact number). Hour meter stopped working years ago but it was after I installed PerfectPass, so the true hours are still stored by the PP.

-Impeller changed at the start of each season regardless of previous season's hours. Oil changed every 50 hours with VR-1 high-zinc synthetic oil. Doesn't burn or leak a drop between oil changes (I wish I could say that about my tow rig!). Trans fluid changed every season regardless of hours. Willing to do a compression test for prospective buyer, but don't be discouraged by the higher hours because this motor just keeps running like a champ. One of the Supra FB groups has a thread where there are guys with 2500+ original hours on their PCM motors.

-Transmission rebuilt by Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio in 2013 due to reverse going out on the original trans. New synthetic shaft packing installed at the same time, as well as a new damper plate installed. Shaft packing adjusted properly at the start of each season.

-New batteries - one starting battery in 2018 one deep cycle in 2017. Running off a Perko switch, with amps and accessories going to a fused buss bar in the battery area. I generally run off the starting battery and switch to the deep cycle when tied up playing music, etc.

-NOCO Genius GENM2 8-amp onboard battery charger installed in 2018 to keep the batteries fresh each time out.

-3 amps - 1 for the four interior 6x9's, 1 for the Krypt 6.5" tower speakers with on/off switch since you don't always want the tower speakers on, 1 for the JBL 8" sub which sounds a lot louder than you would think. Individual volume controls for each zone so you can tune the system on the fly. System is LOUD if you want it to be.

-Acme 913 prop in perfect shape, re-pitched to 9.5 and balanced in July 2019 and has only been on the water 3x since. Handles the ~2500lbs ballast perfectly. Two spare props - one stock 13x13 and one 13x10.5.

-Surf exhaust made out of black ABS pipe. No fumes at all for surfers and really quieted the motor down outside the boat. This has been on for 3 seasons now with no issues.

-Surf flap installed to cut down on spray from the exhaust and prop.

-Custom arduino-based surf system which is fully-automated and runs off GPS for deploy/retraction at 7mph/17mph (speeds can be changed for your application). This makes it so the gates retract when a surfer falls so that the boat isn't hard to steer, and also so that if the switch is in surf mode when you throttle up to higher speed it won't stay out. New platform made out of Trex decking. Surfgates (also Trex decking) are controlled by electric Lenco "fast model" actuators which run off a single rotary switch on the dash for left/right surfing, and can do left/right transfers on-the-fly.

-Ballast - Four Ronix Eight.3 800lb bags (two brand new this year) with dual 3800gph pumps which fill and drain each bag in 3 minutes. Two 12v sockets installed under the passenger seat to handle the 25A load of the pumps, as most older boats like this don't have the proper dash socket wiring to handle above 10-15A. Two additional 540lb Sumo bags and a Super Sumo 1200gph pump also included as backups. All pumps were re-wired this year with heavy duty sockets and the proper fuses. I generally fill one 800lb bag under the front bow to about 700lbs, two 800lb bags on either side of the motor, then another bag about half full in the rear depending on crew size. Surf wake is awesome especially for an older boat.

-New 100 amp alternator in 2017. Stock is 55 amp, so that was a good upgrade.

-All new hoses in 2016. New belts in 2017 and new spare belts always on board, as well as spare impeller and spare starter relay always on board. The starter relay went bad last year after 7 seasons of ownership, so I bought two to fix it and have one as an onboard spare.

-Perfect Pass Stargazer installed around 2014 with new GPS puck in 2019. Still have to install new puck, but PP works better in RPM mode for surfing anyway so it hasn't been a priority.

-Dual axle trailer with new actuator installed a few years ago. Some new brake lines, but need one more fixed because it's stripped at the drum. 4 new trailer tires at the beginning of 2019. New winch and strap last year. I've towed this trailer 4-5 hours without issue many times. It does have one leaky Bearing Buddy, but I always keep it greased and it's never been an issue other than dirtying up that particular rim.

-Carb rebuilt in 2017 by highly recommended heythatsmrmastercraft on the MC forums. Metal fuel line also replaced at the same time, and new fuel/water seperator installed.

-Points ignition redone in 2017, with new spark plug wires. New plugs at the start of each season.

-Tower was modified by a local fab shop to fold and fits under a standard 7' garage door. Boat has been garaged when not on the water, as well as over the Winter. Original cover in decent shape, but some of the snaps need replacing if it's going to be used regularly. I haven't had to worry about that because it's garaged.

-New Rule blower motor and hose in 2018

-New Rule bilge pump in 2017

-Depth finder with adjustable low water alarm

One soft spot in the floor near the front passenger seat. Stringers are solid.

I'll see if I can post videos of the surf wake. For an old boat, this thing really puts out a fantastic wake on a budget. This was my "starter boat" but I did a lot of work to it over the years to be able to keep up with newer boats and had endless hours of fun with friends and family. It's finally time to upgrade to a v-drive, so I'm hoping this will go to someone that was in the same position as I was years ago. Price is with everything included, but I can come down for someone who maybe doesn't want the ballast, amps/speakers, onboard charger.

The boat isn't perfect. The hull could use a good cleaning--I did this last season but then didn't wipe it down each time out since, and it's developed the typical brown line from being in the not-so-clean CT water each weekend. There are also some scrapes and dings in the fiberglass, none of which can't be fixed with some off-season elbow grease. The interior isn't perfect, but I never thought it worthwhile to pay 2k+ to get it redone on a 5k boat. My friend's mom redid the front bow area and front seats a few years ago, but it's not exactly an upholstery shop job. Mechanically, I take care of things before they are needed and really stay on top of maintenance, but aesthetically I haven't worried as much. I will say that the boat has never left me stranded in 8 seasons, which not a lot of boat owners can say.

Willing to tow a few hundred miles to deliver or to meet someone halfway that's not in the Northeast. A water test is recommended so that I can show you how the surf system works, go over everything, etc.

Price drop to $4,500
    Last edited by jtryon; 10-01-2019 at 01:07 PM. Reason: sold
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Last edited by jtryon; 09-05-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

Surf flap - never seen one. Hmmm.
    2018 Supra SL400

google “Duffy surf flap”, that’s where I got the idea. Really knocks down the spray from FAE and prop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
    google “Duffy surf flap”, that’s where I got the idea. Really knocks down the spray from FAE and prop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks jtryon. Interesting read. My first thought was mud-flaps or rock-tamers - but it works.

Glad I do not get that on my 2007 Supra FAE.

Good luck on your sale.
    2018 Supra SL400

Try posting pics to Imgur.com then paste them to the forum.