Default 2007 Supra 24SSV Fuel pressure at 100 psi

Hey everybody!

I need some help! My 2007 Supra with the Cat340 engine is at the dealer for a check engine light. The fuel rail is pushing a 100psi, and they can not figure out what is wrong. At this point, the dealer is throwing parts at it and the bill keeps increasing. So far we have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel return line to the tank, but this has not fixed it. He is now wanting to replace fuel pumps (my boat has 2 due to a vapor lock issue), which will cost around $900. Has anyone else seen this issue or have any ideas on what is needed to fix this problem?

I have asked the dealer to check to make sure we did not get a bad fuel pressure regulator and to bypass one of the fuel pumps to see if this fixes this issue. The engine keeps throwing a check engine light for the oxygen sensors (which we initially replaced). Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Rodger
    2007 Supra 24 SSV 340 CAT
    Lake Bryan, TX

I have never heard of a fuel pump putting out too much pressure ? It sounds like they were on the right path and then went to lala land. I would tell them if they want to try fuel pumps that's fine as long as they are willing to take them back if they don't fix the problem. My guess is you still have a bad regulator or return blockage. Have you contacted Indmar yet?

I’m thinking regulator. Those little electric pumps can’t suddenly start putting out too much pressure. I think it’s a waste of money putting in pumps that are working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I have never heard of a fuel pump putting out too much pressure ? It sounds like they were on the right path and then went to lala land. I would tell them if they want to try fuel pumps that's fine as long as they are willing to take them back if they don't fix the problem. My guess is you still have a bad regulator or return blockage. Have you contacted Indmar yet?
    Michael,

We have already replaced the fuel regulator and the return line to the tank. They have been speaking with Indmar the entire time...
    Lake Bryan, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    I’m thinking regulator. Those little electric pumps can’t suddenly start putting out too much pressure. I think it’s a waste of money putting in pumps that are working.

The fuel regulator and return line to the tank has been replaced.
    Lake Bryan, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rtpaxton2 View Post
    The fuel regulator and return line to the tank has been replaced.
    I get that but can’t see it being pumps. Is the regulator vacuum operated? It’s the only piece in the chain the limits the pressure from the pumps. What was the check engine code?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinesurgeon View Post
    I get that but can’t see it being pumps. Is the regulator vacuum operated? It’s the only piece in the chain the limits the pressure from the pumps. What was the check engine code?

It keeps throwing an oxygen sensor error. They have replaced both sensors on the boat.

I'm not sure if you saw in my first post, the boat does have TWO fuel pumps. The second pump was an aftermarket add by the first owner's dealer when he was having vapor lock issues. I wonder if the second pump is boosting the fuel pressure too high. Indmar is telling my dealer not to let the boat out of their shop with the fuel pressure where it is. I have asked the dealer to bypass the non-OEM pump, and see if the pressure returns to normal.
    Lake Bryan, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rtpaxton2 View Post
    It keeps throwing an oxygen sensor error. They have replaced both sensors on the boat.

I'm not sure if you saw in my first post, the boat does have TWO fuel pumps. The second pump was an aftermarket add by the first owner's dealer when he was having vapor lock issues. I wonder if the second pump is boosting the fuel pressure too high. Indmar is telling my dealer not to let the boat out of their shop with the fuel pressure where it is. I have asked the dealer to bypass the non-OEM pump, and see if the pressure returns to normal.
    I am familiar with the two pump system. Usually the add on pump is nothing more than a booster to clear vapor lock within the main pump. I wonder if you’ve always had high pressure at the rail. Removing that pump and testing it would be a good move just to isolate that part of the system. Should also try a different fuel pressure gauge too. Good luck, I hope you find out what’s wrong I know it can be frustrating especially when the shop runs out of ideas and starts shot gunning it.

What happens when you remove the return line at the tank and let it flow into a separate container ? Does the fuel flow unrestricted? If not remove line at the fuel rail.

So I forgot to update my thread last year. The dealer put a new fuel pump on the boat and fixed the high fuel pressure issue. Unfortunately I discovered after looking at some old repair receipts, that this was the second fuel regulator they put on the boat in 2-3 years.... Grrr!

I'm still throwing a check engine code for "Miss fire on cylinder number one". I'm thinking it's a low octane problem, but the dealer was not able to fix it last year. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rtpaxton2; 05-17-2020 at 08:34 PM.
    Lake Bryan, TX