Thread: 2020 SA vs SL

Default 2020 SA vs SL

Currently looking at the 2020 SA and SL. Can anyone compare the surf waves for both boats? Anyone have any luck with resale year to year?

Wake9 is posting a new review on the redesigned SA 550 and the surf wave. I think it may be this week after the Moomba 24' surf review.

They owned the 2018 SL 550. Same hull as now, but the 2020s have the different ratios on the 400/460. Some different interior stuff.

Just starting to see pics of the 2020s on the water. Not too much around from other owners.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

Thanks I’m on my sixth Malibu now as I buy and sell each year. I have an opportunity now to do the same with Supra but I definitely don’t know the product. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gibbswakesurf View Post
    Thanks I’m on my sixth Malibu now as I buy and sell each year. I have an opportunity now to do the same with Supra but I definitely don’t know the product. Thanks
    I've surfed the 18SL and 18SA (prior design). Both had great push. I've been hearing the 2020SA is a better hull design and the wave looks pretty good - pics look awesome. Both can be adjusted with the wake plates. Both boats needed to have additional lead/ballast, but super easy to setup. It takes more time for adjusting to things like how you like the lip of the wake and finding the right push for the rider (longer vs shorter).

The technology on the boats with the surf systems come out of the box with good settings. Easy to monitor the pitch/roll with the dash systems and find out what you like on the amp, or steepness, or more length.

There is a good write-up on the Moomba Forum on how to use Autowake. It was written by one of the Product Mangers from SC - Matt Brown. Lots of info. There are also some YouTube videos on how to run the system. YES - it takes a little learning to understand what's it's trying to do and what affect that has on your ballast. You will find - some new people do not trust it and want to outsmart the system. Some people love running it once they learn to operate at max efficiency.

I have some friends that use Autowake, but if you have a consistent crew, it just and east to 1) fill up the ballast 2) choose the rider profile, 3) and go.

Raptor 400 and 460 on the 2020s have the newer ratios that will help with running bigger wheels under the boat. More torq and less rpms. Plenty of motor on the boats I have been on.

Check out those Wake9 videos. Robert has a 2019 SE550 now and that thing has a ton of push/power. He also gets new models each year. The guy knows how to dial-in a wake boat. If he did not like a model, he would not produce a video on it and would not say 'good' if the wave it's NOT good.

Also, there are probably close to 9k members on the Supra and Moomba Facebook page. Good info on there. That is where I get to see the other new boats/waves and start to discuss settings with other members.

I've been on BUs and MCs and I do not 'knock them'. Take a few demo rides on a Supra. Smaller company. Solid boats. Good Value when comparing to other wake companies. Cool to see how they are made at the factory and how the company people are involved with the Skiers community - talking to owners, want feedback, boats getting better and better each year.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 09-24-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    2018 Supra SL400

I'm hoping to get out on the 2020 SL and SA 400's on both next week on the same day so I can have a good comparison. The dealer tells me he thinks the surf wave on the SA is a bit better right out of the box. The SL wave I was on earlier this year was fantastic for a newbie.

I was on a 2020 SA the other day, did not surf, but holly crap did it have a great stereo system. Super clear. Subs were 12s.

Both boats will be great on the surfing. I'm betting you will be splitting hairs to find what is 'better'. Probably SA edge.
    2018 Supra SL400

The new SA sound system is next level. It may be too loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk