Default Saltare fuel sender replacement

I recently replaced the fuel sender in my '89 Saltare. I got the impression my sender was reading low, as it would read empty and when filling it would only take about 25 gallons. I went with a KSS 8" deep unit (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y831Q0S), which should leave at least 5 gallons left when it reads empty. I would prefer it to be closer to accurate but the instructions say to leave 1" to the bottom of the tank. The 9" would have left 1/8"-1/4" to the bottom as mounted. I think since the tank is aluminum rather than plastic I could have gone with the 8.5" unit and been plenty safe for any flexing or distortion of the tank.

Regardless, I changed the original fuel sender for the KSS 8" sender and the gauge read 1/8 higher from the bottom half of the scale. While not 100%, it's more accurate than what I had so I'm happy. This sender is more accurate and gives me a better known quantity of fuel when it reads empty. If I had to do it again I'd go with the 8.5" model, but this gives me a healthy reserve less than the absurd 20 gallon reserve I had before. One thing to note is this style of sender had a magnetic float and 8 or 10 switches on the vertical portion. The gauge reading is steady but will abruptly jump down 1/10-1/8 of the gauge as it reached the next lower magnetic switch. So in a Saltare you'll get a gauge movement for about every 5 gallons burned. For reference, the gas tank in my '89 Saltare measures 9"d x 67"w x 17"h which works out to about 45 gallons.

Centroid Products 386-423-3574. They custom make a full electronic sender to your boats specs. No float to move around dash gauge stays rock solid . I use them in all my boats since 1989.

An update. After removing most fuel from the tank, then adding fuel, the KSS 8" sending unit moved to 1/8 gauge reading after adding about 9 gallons. It's reasonable to assume there was at least 1 gallon left in the tank after I siphoned the remaining fuel out. With this sending unit when it reads empty I have about 10 gallons remaining. At 22 MPH towing a rider my boat burns 6-7 GPH, so when it reads empty there is over an hour of safety margin at moderate cruise speed or at least 25 miles of fuel remaining.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cadunkle; 07-18-2020 at 08:45 PM.