Question Potential Purchase of 2004 Supra 22SSV Gravity Games Edition

I'm thinking about getting back in the boat owner world by buying a 2004 Supra 22SSV Gravity Games edition. The boat is pretty rough on the edges and I'm wondering what everybody thinks.

Here are the problems:
    1) Much of the interior vinyl is cracked or ready to crack and I'm thinking the vinyl and/or cushions need to be replaced.
    2) There are several spider web cracks in the gel coat in different places on the boat. When I run my hand over them I can't feel anything so definitely below the gel coat.
    3) The ballast system has been sealed and the sellers told me the bags and the pumps have to be replaced.
    4) On the bottom of the hull there are several spots that are round about the size of my large hand that are discolored from the rest of the hull. I pressed it and it is not soft nor is there a raised edge. I have no idea what this could be.
    5) The floor seems solid without any soft spots that I could find.
    6) The decals have all fallen off and there are several surface scrapes and scratches. This seems cosmetic to me and would be fixed by installing a wrap over the hull.
    7) The swim deck rubber is cracked.

There are 1100 hours on the boat so definitely used. This winter the sellers replaced the motor and it has a two year warranty. The sellers also replaced the fuel pump. Pretty much if the mechanic who replaced the motor thought something needed to be replaced or fixed the sellers did it.

I don't think I have to worry about the motor being that it was replaced recently. Do I have to be thinking that I'll be having to replace the transmission sooner than later? Do most people replace the transmission when they replace the motor?

Here is what I know I want to do:
    1) Replace the interior cushions.
    2) Replace the ballast bags and pumps.
    3) Fix the spider web cracks. Is this a big deal or costly?
    4) Install a wrap on the hull to cover scratches and scrapes
    5) Replace the swim deck rubber
    6) Are there other repairs I should be expecting soon?

What I want to know if these are mostly simple and inexpensive fixes? The seller is willing to negotiate, but I am not sure I even want the boat because I am wondering of the repairs.

Any thoughts?

Well my 2006 sounds like it was in worse shape then yours.

Interior is about 4K to 5k.

I had to do a lot of deep buffing on the hull. Most light scratches disappeared. I have some gel coat cracks around the tower.

Floors are aluminum so there shouldn’t be any soft spots. Actually no wood at all in the boat.

The ballast system really isn’t all that good in these years so plan on re-doing it to a better system. I upgraded my bags and made it a 3 pump fill system.

I guess it comes down to price and how much elbow grease your willing to put in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ I agree with this:

Here are the problems:
    1) Much of the interior vinyl is cracked or ready to crack and I'm thinking the vinyl and/or cushions need to be replaced.
    >> Replace it. Budget 5K depending on what you want and if you will do some of the work - like remove from the boat or pull staples.

2) There are several spider web cracks in the gel coat in different places on the boat. When I run my hand over them I can't feel anything so definitely below the gel coat.
    >> Wet sand the boat. Usually cracks are not a big deal. Annoying.

3) The ballast system has been sealed and the sellers told me the bags and the pumps have to be replaced.
    >> Not sure what 'sealed means', but if you want to surf - you have options on pumps, ball values up to reversible pumps. Ballast bags are easy to find - new and used.

4) On the bottom of the hull there are several spots that are round about the size of my large hand that are discolored from the rest of the hull. I pressed it and it is not soft nor is there a raised edge. I have no idea what this could be.
    >> Post some pics. Could be anything from discoloring on the gel to gel blisters

5) The floor seems solid without any soft spots that I could find.
    >> You should not have issues with the floors on a 2004.

6) The decals have all fallen off and there are several surface scrapes and scratches. This seems cosmetic to me and would be fixed by installing a wrap over the hull.
    >> Wet Sand and go from there. You can put new letters on the boat. Wraps are fine, but if you rub a dock or another boat, those will tear.

7) The swim deck rubber is cracked.
    >> Put a new one on from Gator Step or SeaDek.
    2018 Supra SL400

6) Are there other repairs I should be expecting soon?
    >> If the motor is new or rebuilt and has not been running, you will have some 'bugs' to work out once the boat gets into the water. Things like guages and electronics. I hope they put on new parts like starter, belt, hoses, impeller, etc.

Do most people replace the transmission when they replace the motor?
    >> No. Change the fluids and take it for a test run to see how smooth/rough it operates.
    2018 Supra SL400

What I want to know if these are mostly simple and inexpensive fixes? The seller is willing to negotiate, but I am not sure I even want the boat because I am wondering of the repairs

>> Did you take the boat for a ride?

>> Negotiate - depends on the price of the boat. options on the boat, and on how much the seller will move.
    2004 boats need 'tinkering'. There was just a 2004 on Facebook, TX boat, looked to be in good shape = $26,500.
    Last edited by MJHKnox; 10-28-2019 at 12:50 PM.
    2018 Supra SL400