Default Old gas; 351 PCM

89 Supra has been on rack for ten years. Almost full of gasoline.
    I’m installing a new carb.
    Question: Is there a reasonably easy way to drain the old gas from the tank, and if not, what should I do as far as an additive, etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonymozingo View Post
    89 Supra has been on rack for ten years. Almost full of gasoline.
    I’m installing a new carb.
    Question: Is there a reasonably easy way to drain the old gas from the tank, and if not, what should I do as far as an additive, etc. ?
    Definitely get the old gas out.
    As simple as a syphon tube!
    Try to agitate the fuel remaining so as to get out the crud as well.
    Then add about 1/8 tank fresh fuel with additive , agitate best you can and syphon that off
    Change fuel filter.

Any tips on siphoning? I can’t get the remainder; it’s still half full. Is there a certain shape of the tank preventing the hose from reaching deep enough?

Any tips on siphoning? I can’t get the remainder; it’s still half full. Is there a certain shape of the tank preventing the hose from reaching deep enough?
    Try using a smaller narrower tube to get around any obstacles although I do not believe you should run into any within the tank itself.
    —- or a larger tube in case it is crud that is clogging your tube.
    Are you noticing any crud in the gas you are able to syphon off ?
    Your outlet end of the tube needs to be lower than the bottom of the tank you are syphoning from.

I am so glad for this advice. There’s no sludge, but whatever additive or ? The previous owner put in definitely broke down. The fuel has a peculiar smell and a reddish tint. I’d hate to know I ran it through my new carb.
    As for the siphoning, I’ll try that.
    Crystal and Michael, I just want to thank you both again for taking the time to answer my posts. I’ve followed your advice. I’m currently waiting for my shipment from SkiDim for:
    New carb, new distributor, new fuel pump and filters, etc. The people at SkiDim are awesome. They tell you exactly what you need.
    I’m gonna need some final advice on setting the timing. Please look out for a new thread asking for advice on that week after next.
    All the best.

Tony

I am so glad for this advice. There’s no sludge, but whatever additive or ? The previous owner put in definitely broke down. The fuel has a peculiar smell and a reddish tint. I’d hate to know I ran it through my new carb.
    As for the siphoning, I’ll try that.
    Crystal and Michael, I just want to thank you both again for taking the time to answer my posts. I’ve followed your advice. I’m currently waiting for my shipment from SkiDim for:
    New carb, new distributor, new fuel pump and filters, etc. The people at SkiDim are awesome. They tell you exactly what you need.
    I’m gonna need some final advice on setting the timing. Please look out for a new thread asking for advice on that week after next.
    All the best.

Tony
    Red in gas could well be fuel additive from previous owner to help preserve the gas although ten years goes beyond reasonable expectations.
    Ski Dim is awesome! Used them a number of times in the past.
    Pleased to see the light is now shining at the end of the tunnel for you.
    Take care