Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What kind of wood did you end up using for your stringers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2x8 douglas fir for all the stringers. The original outside stringers were only plywood which seemed pretty flimsy so decided to use the 2x since that is were everyone steps on and off the boat from the dock. I did have to call around and found one lumber yard in my area that could order in the 2x8 x 16' so it was a little pricey but we are happy with how it is all turning out.

I use 1/2 marine on the outside stringer rip it 8 ft long glue together stagier the seams every 4 ft
    inside stringer i 1 peace it using lvl or lam beams full 2 inch
    1986 TSM6
    1987 SALTERA

So it has been a long time since I have added anything to this thread, with all the craziness from Covid-19 to just life being busy I have forgotten to update. With all the lock downs the wife and I did not have much else to do so we spent a lot of time working on the rebuild, and surprisingly finished almost on time. Our goal was to be on the water by Memorial day, but because of the weather we were delayed by about a week. The only thing we have not finished up is the rear seat as we want to improve on the original design and make it more ski friendly by being removable. So as of now we are skiing and using the boat like normal just without a rear seat and an exposed gas tank. Overall we are extremely happy with how it has turned out! The only issue we had was that the floor ended up being about 1/4" higher in the rear than originally so we had to cut the bottom out of the rear compartment because the gas tank fittings were preventing the cap from sitting all the way back down. I'll add some of the pictures of the process.

Wow, that is a damn fine job on the restoration. Love the upholstery. Brilliant work! I would like to see what you come up with for the back seat when finished.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Thanks! We are really happy with how it has all turned out. Tried to keep it all as original as possible. We were really hoping to come down south for the summer meet up but haven't seen anything posted about it this year, just assuming with all the Covid that won't happen this year?

Quote Originally Posted by 3826smith View Post
    Thanks! We are really happy with how it has all turned out. Tried to keep it all as original as possible. We were really hoping to come down south for the summer meet up but haven't seen anything posted about it this year, just assuming with all the Covid that won't happen this year?
    Original is the only way to go. Your upholstery is very striking. I keep going back looking at that last pic and although a lot of people would think it looks dated, to me it looks as fresh as the day it was originally designed. Of course, these are the same people that will go out and buy the funky shaped Supras with the funky shaped cushions that glow in the dark.

Working on my Comp right now and planning to have the upholstery done this fall. It is just white with red piping but I hope it looks as fresh as yours. I would love to do the new Chill Tech vinyl on mine.

No official Southern Supra Reunion this year but stay tuned for future gatherings.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242