Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firing order ?

Default Firing order ?

I picked up a 92 Supra ts6m and want to change out the protech ignition with a DUI system.
    I took a picture of the engine tag so that I would get the correct kit before I put it away and noticed the firing order on the tag reads 1 1 8 3 7 5 4 8 ? The model is PLD-PR-R12PT. I took a couple pictures knowing I would swap the ignition out, but forgot about the different motor rotations? . It does have the PCM 40a 1.23 to 1 transmission. The boat is not stored here where I live so I can't just step out and hit the starter and see what direction it turns.
    I would appreciate if anyone could translate the tag so I know the rotation ( and whether that is looking at the crank from the front or the flywheel from the rear?) and determine what that firing order is? I figured it was standard rotation (CCW left looking at the flywheel) and 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 ?
    I will try to upload a pic of the tag.
    Dave

The firing order for a 351w is 1-8-4-5-6-2-7-3

Can you tell what rotation that is (right /left > which is standard?) 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 must be the other rotation firing order?
    I have not been able to upload the picture of the tag yet?
    Thanks for your help !!!

I keep clicking on add an image, select the pic of the tag, hit load but get no image ?
    Last edited by 92Supra; 02-04-2020 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add photo

Quote Originally Posted by 92Supra View Post
    Can you tell what rotation that is (right /left > which is standard?) 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 must be the other rotation firing order?
    I have not been able to upload the picture of the tag yet?
    Thanks for your help !!!

I keep clicking on add an image, select the pic of the tag, hit load but get no image ?
    PM sent, usually have to a few extra posts before they let you post a pic

Thanks for the heads up! I did translate the tag to a left hand rotation ( I believe is standard) lower HP 351 with PCM 1.23 to 1 drive and a right hand prop. I think that would be the 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order. Now I think I'm going with the DUI distributor ignition replacement for the protech.

Maybe this will help?

Yes, that confirms what I thought. The PLD in the model was a left rotation ( looking at the flywheel), and the lower HP 351 engine. The mislabeled firing order on the tag ( had (2) #1 cyl and (2) #8 and no #2 or #6) had me confused.
    Thanks for the spec page !

Michael, thanks for your help with the firing order spec page. I just pulled the boat out of winter storage and removed the Pro-Tech ignition in favor of a DUI distributor. I am not a mechanic by any means, but I was able to drop in the new distributor, wire up the 2 wires to the cap, and got it fired up on my own. I set the timing between 10-12btdc (closer to 12), and I am amazed at how much better it starts and idles when cold!! Thanks again for the info

I did the same on my 92 it has never run better. Where are you located?

I'm on the west coast in Washington state. Summers are short here so I didn't want to chance the old protech ignition going bad on a nice weekend.