Default Rusty trailer replacement help

So my 20 foot sunsport's trailer, has seen its day when it comes to rust. I dont have pics of it yet (rainy) but take my word when I say it looks pretty bad. Bubbling pockets of rust, that the previous owner tried to hide with paint. Ect. Anyone know how/where I can look into purchasing a good, used trailer? Or if I can salvage this one (when I get pics)...thanks ahead of time

Quote Originally Posted by Konakev View Post
    So my 20 foot sunsport's trailer, has seen its day when it comes to rust. I dont have pics of it yet (rainy) but take my word when I say it looks pretty bad. Bubbling pockets of rust, that the previous owner tried to hide with paint. Ect. Anyone know how/where I can look into purchasing a good, used trailer? Or if I can salvage this one (when I get pics)...thanks ahead of time
    Don’t know where you’re located but this looks like a good buy.

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa...082929771.html

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Woah yeah... I'm in CA. So that's a little drive for me... any takers wanna drive it to me for some compensation? Lol

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I repainted my trailer a couple of years ago. New lights, paint, carpet the works. Took about 3 days, start to finish by myself. I made a list of all the materials needed and had it ready to go. I rented a commercial sand blaster the kind the come on its own trailer and 200 lb. Of sand. I had the trailer ready for primer in about an hr.
    I think it cost less than $450.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagman View Post
    I repainted my trailer a couple of years ago. New lights, paint, carpet the works. Took about 3 days, start to finish by myself. I made a list of all the materials needed and had it ready to go. I rented a commercial sand blaster the kind the come on its own trailer and 200 lb. Of sand. I had the trailer ready for primer in about an hr.
    I think it cost less than $450.00.
    Thanks! I'll have to look into that...

I have used Uship to have things like trailers hauled for me - Worked great, for me but I have heard other have issues so make sure the person is reliable.

Also, make sure you do a thorough inspection before deciding to rehab your trailer. In particular, if it is the box style frame, make sure to look inside the box as many times there is heavy rust inside the frame, which is not repairable.

Quote Originally Posted by td in nc View Post
    I have used Uship to have things like trailers hauled for me - Worked great, for me but I have heard other have issues so make sure the person is reliable.

Also, make sure you do a thorough inspection before deciding to rehab your trailer. In particular, if it is the box style frame, make sure to look inside the box as many times there is heavy rust inside the frame, which is not repairable.
    That's what I fear... I have seen some spots underneath that are concerning so more thorough inspection is needed. I might have to do some major repair work and or replacement of some metal. Which I can do, but I dont have a lift to get the boat off... so theres that...lol

blegh, rust, the best way to deal with it is to never get it!

It tends to happen whether we like it or not however. I'll usually use a needle scaler for really thick rust. It can bang up your stuff pretty bad but it's heavy duty. They apparently use it in the navy. It might be worth looking into. I got one pretty cheap at the local harbor freight. Use a mask if you do this, although that might be hard to find these days...