Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hoop46 View Post
    Got the boat back last monday. They replaced the fuel line, new cap and rotor, plugs, adjusted timing. Started it up on the hose in the driveway and it started right up with a smooth idle. Took it to the lake on Friday for a shake down run and it idles well, but is missing as you increase RPM out of idle which it's never done before. Between 3-4000 RPM it's bad enough that you can watch the tach drop a few hundred RPM. Needless to say, it's going back in today as it's never done this before. I'm guessing the timing is off somehow? Not really sure.
    Sound like it could be starving for fuel on the upper end. I rebuilt the carb on my 89' (3) times during the 24 years i owned it. Bought the rebuild kit from Discount Inboard Marine and it always ran great after the rebuild.

So the shop got the fuel line fixed and not leaking and was not able to identify any issues with the missing. So at this point it either was related to the fuel line or is only happening while the engine is in gear. We'll test it out again this weekend.

So I got my boat out of storage last weekend and today I got it all put back together and it fired up on the second crank of the starter after the fuel pump was primed from cranking. It was running good on the hose but had a bit of a stumble off idle which I attribute to bad gas. Topped it off on the way to drop it in the water for the season and added some fuel treatment. Ran like a top by the time I got back to the house and tucked it away in the lift. That is a long way to get to the question of, do you treat your fuel and how full was the tank when you laid it up for the winter? That parts list does sound rather excessive, I think the only thing that they did not throw at it was the kitchen/shop sink.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    So I got my boat out of storage last weekend and today I got it all put back together and it fired up on the second crank of the starter after the fuel pump was primed from cranking. It was running good on the hose but had a bit of a stumble off idle which I attribute to bad gas. Topped it off on the way to drop it in the water for the season and added some fuel treatment. Ran like a top by the time I got back to the house and tucked it away in the lift. That is a long way to get to the question of, do you treat your fuel and how full was the tank when you laid it up for the winter? That parts list does sound rather excessive, I think the only thing that they did not throw at it was the kitchen/shop sink.
    Jetlink,
    I topped it off at the end of the season and treated with sta bil.

As an update, I took it out yesterday and it ran fine for the first half hour or so, then the upper RPM bogging began. Seems to run fine 2500 RPM and below. It began running pretty erraticly after 2500 and it was struggling to get to full throttle. Best way to describe would be that it sounded like it fell down the stairs to get to full throttle, losing and gaining power as it got there and when it got there. Going to start by changing out the fuel filter. Will probably go ahead and drain the tank as well. Anything else?

Fuel filter might be constricting fuel flow but if it can get to full RPM early on before it starts building heat on the block I wonder if the coil is going. I had some run issues I was fighting amongst other issues but long story short, I went new distributor, coil, plugs and wires and obviously adjusted timing with that. Rebuilt the carb a year or two ago and it runs like a top every time now. I do replace the fuel filter in the spring too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Fuel filter might be constricting fuel flow but if it can get to full RPM early on before it starts building heat on the block I wonder if the coil is going. I had some run issues I was fighting amongst other issues but long story short, I went new distributor, coil, plugs and wires and obviously adjusted timing with that. Rebuilt the carb a year or two ago and it runs like a top every time now. I do replace the fuel filter in the spring too.
    any way to test the coil? I haven't replaced the fuel filter since i purchased the boat ~ 3 years ago. I'm sure Michael did at some point when he went through it, but i'd imagine it's due for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by hoop46 View Post
    any way to test the coil? I haven't replaced the fuel filter since i purchased the boat ~ 3 years ago. I'm sure Michael did at some point when he went through it, but i'd imagine it's due for a replacement.
    So I took my multi meter to the coil. Getting 1.4 minutes ohms from positive to negative And 9,450 from positive to the top. Now I need to find the specs of said coil. Doesn’t have much info on it other than 903

Take a picture of it and post it up here or better yet, ask Mr. Hunter what he had on there. If your issue is not there when you first start up but gradually becomes prevalent with run time and heat build up, I am betting the coil is bad and therefore, testing it while everything is in a sense cold will not reveal a bad coil. I found that out the hard way as I was chasing my tail with what sounds like your problem.

What is the the engine doing? The most common problems are in the carb and the ignition. I forgot what ignition system is in your boat does it have points?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    What is the the engine doing? The most common problems are in the carb and the ignition. I forgot what ignition system is in your boat does it have points?
    Michael,
    Yes it has points. The best way to describe it is a sputter/misfire at high RPMs. Last trip it didn't do this until after about a half hour of running.

I went ahead and ordered a new fuel filter from Skidim on reccomendation from Haugy, as well as a new coil. We'll see how those work.