Default Previous Rub Rail and De-cap Hole repair.

Hey everybody,

I am in the middle of a wetsand and buffing my 1987 Supra Sunsport. I started this project by removing the Rub Rail so I could either reseal or replace the rub rail. I was aware the previous owner had the boat decapped for wood repair. After removing the rub rail, it looks like this boat has either been de-capped many times, or the rub rail replaced many time. There as a bunch of holes around the lip. I mean probably 100+ extra holes. It looks like swiss cheese in some spots. I am planning on trying to repair this to some extent.

Does anybody have any good methods of doing this?

I my current idea is to drill them out with a 1/4" drill bit. Then, use Fluted 1/4"x 1.5"L wood dowels coated in epoxy to fill the holes through the cap and hull.

This way when I put new rub rail on it, I do not have to worry about where the screws line up. There should be something substantial to screw into.

What do y'all think? This is the only way I know how to easily fill the holes in both the cap and hull.

I can post pictures later this week.

Why don't you mix some epoxy mixed with cabosil to thicken it and fill the holes.

I have considered that, but I'm not sure how to fill the holes in the hull that way. The cap would be easy but there is a gap between the cap and the hull, so I'm not sure how I would fill the holes in the hull.

If you have a good idea for doing that I would love to hear it!

Do the holes go through both upper and lower hulls? Push the filler through both hulls . Only problem is if you ever have to take the cap off.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Do the holes go through both upper and lower hulls? Push the filler through both hulls . Only problem is if you ever have to take the cap off.
    Yeah the holes are through both. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk