Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor stringers

Default Floor stringers

Hello,

I have a 1995 supra comp sts which has been a great boat. I started researching common issues to stay ahead of potential future problems. During my research I noticed stringers where an issue. In the forums people stated around 1992 to 1993 supra started to fix this issue from the factory. Those forums where specific to the ts6m model. This might sound like a dumb question, but what are major differences between the comp sts and comp ts6m? Are the stringers in my boat made of fiberglass / composite materials or should I be concerned about it? Tomorrow I plan on checking the motor mount and transmission mount bolts. Any information would be appreciated.

Very respectfully,

Stacy

Usually, round windshield = composite stringers. By 1995, I would expect you to have composite stringers. Can't help you with the comp differences.

Other issues to watch for are drive shaft alignment and the drive shaft packing nut. The engine tends to settle and the alignment needs to be adjusted. The packing material tends to dry out and the stuffing box will leak. Here is how to fix that. https://pbase.com/mainecruising/image/169307420. There are lots of Youtube videos on engine alignment.

Scottschmitt,

Thank you for the information. Do you ever have to worry about the seal around the exhaust where they exit the back of the boat or where the boat sucks up lake water to cool the engine.

Usually not. Sometimes you can get a crack in the fiberglass, but that is not super common. Stuffing box and alignment happen to everyone.

Sorry for the late response and thank you for the information. I'm going to adjust that packing this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
    Hello, I have a 1995 supra comp sts which has been a great boat. This might sound like a dumb question, but what are major differences between the comp sts and comp ts6m? Any information would be appreciated.

Very respectfully,

Stacy
    I'm not familiar with the STS of which you speak. In the late 90's, Supra came out with the STII hull design based on their SupraTrac hull design which gave you a deeper V over the original Comp ts6m along with seven more inches of width. The windshield was more raked-back for lower wind drag and better looks.

The original Comp starting in 1984 is 6 meters long (hence the ts6m) which converts to 19 feet, 7 inches. The beam was 84 inches while weighing in at a mere 2200 lbs.

The 90's version of the Comp was extended to 19 feet, 11.5 inches (6.08m) They dropped the ts6m moniker at this time. The beam width went to 91 inches while the boat got heavier at 2500 lbs. The gas tank went from 21 to 27 gallons over this time.

By the time the Comp hit 20 years old, it became a bit bloated and was called the Comp LTS. Still offering 3 event wakes but styled for more luxury than before. The length stayed the same at 19 feet, 11.5 inches while the beam got another 4 inches added to become 95 inches which matched Supra's other offerings at the time such as the Launch, Sunsport and Santera models. It gained weight yet again, close to 2900 lbs., and the gas tank could now hold 34 gallons.

Unfortunately, the Comp was discontinued in 2005. The engine options by the end allowed you to have up to 340 horses which is 100 more than you started with in 1984. The only thing that remained the same over the Comp lifespan was the draft which was 22 inches.

There are some exceptions to the rule surrounding composite vs wood vs year.
    To note, Supra did make a Comp Classic in the mid 90s with the square windshield that fool a lot of people into believing that it is a wooden stringer boat. As stated previously, by 1992 model year, all Supras had composite stringers so it's important to verify the HIN on the transom.

Opposite that, I have a 1991 Comp ts6m (and know of at least one more) that has composite stringers which was built 6 months prior to the conversion to composite materials. Mine was used as a factory demo in 1991 and not sold to an individual until March of 1993 from the local dealer.

Hope this helps you with some information. Would love to see pics of your 1995 if you can post. Use a third party like Imgur or Tapatalk since uploading here sucks bigly.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

I can up load some photos for you to see tonight using a third party. I will post some on the profile thing. I dont know if you will be able to see them. I appreciate all the I formation on the boat. Yeah it says sts on it. I wasn't sure what made it different from the ts6m.

Default 1995 Buyer's Guide

I saw the pics you posted to your album. You have a '95 with a square windshield? I have never seen that STS lettering on side like that. Looks like a custom vinyl job.

Would you mind posting your HIN off the rear transom? You can PM me if you want or post here. I would like to decipher the mystery if I could. Thanks.

Looking through my collection of magazines, I found the 1995 Boat Buyer's Guide from WaterSki Magazine. Makes for some good reading and shows exactly what the 1995 model looked like.

Last edited by Mischief IV; 05-09-2020 at 12:47 PM.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default 1991 Buyer's Guide

Found the 1991 Buyer's Guide from Waterski Magazine so figured I would go ahead and post it up as well. My Comp was made in January 1991 when this edition came out.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Default 1989 Buyer's Guide

Also found the 1989 Buyer's Guide from Waterski Magazine so figured I would go ahead and post it up as well while we are discussing Comps.

1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242