Default 89 Comp TS6M dead in the water

Hey guys, I own a 1989 TS6M which has been a great boat. Yesterday the boat died and it has me stumped. Boat was on the lake all day, started and stopped multiple times, fired up with zero issues as usual. At the end of the day we were cruising back to the dock and about 3k rpm, everything was smooth when the boat completely died and wouldn’t restart. The temp gauge was over 200 so we figured maybe the impeller died but even after it cooled it wouldn’t start. I also noticed the voltage gauge showing low, about 9-10v but the battery is literally brand new and had my alternator tested today, it checked out fine. I’ve since tried to fire it up on the trailer with jumper cables but I get nothing. Any ideas where to start looking before i end up making unnecessary repairs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by permanent37 View Post
    Hey guys, I own a 1989 TS6M which has been a great boat. Yesterday the boat died and it has me stumped. Boat was on the lake all day, started and stopped multiple times, fired up with zero issues as usual. At the end of the day we were cruising back to the dock and about 3k rpm, everything was smooth when the boat completely died and wouldn’t restart. The temp gauge was over 200 so we figured maybe the impeller died but even after it cooled it wouldn’t start. I also noticed the voltage gauge showing low, about 9-10v but the battery is literally brand new and had my alternator tested today, it checked out fine. I’ve since tried to fire it up on the trailer with jumper cables but I get nothing. Any ideas where to start looking before i end up making unnecessary repairs?

Check your coil
    If no luck, call skidim ( Skiers Discount Marine)

Quote Originally Posted by permanent37 View Post

Need more info:
    Does it crank at all with or without the jumper cables?
    When it died on the water, would it crank at all?
    200 ° is not overheated. This would not keep it from starting.
    Check ALL your connections from the battery to the starter. If it won't crank, and you are 100% the battery is fully charged, check the starter/bendix. Mine went out on my 89' Conbrio and I bought a new starter from Discount Inboard Marine and never had a problem after that.

Turns over fine, battery is new and alternator checked out fine. I have a fireball xr700 on the boat which seems to be working fine as well. I put in a new ballast resistor today because mine was cracked and installed a new ignition coil. After that I hooked a plug straight to the ignition coil and got good spark. I then hooked the coil to the distributor cap and confirmed spark at the plug. When I tried to fire the motor is almost started but went right back to zero spark even at the ignition coil.

Are you still running points?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Are you still running points?
    Fireball XR is an optically triggered ignition system. No points. I converted my 89' Supra to breakerless and it used the normal Hall effect pickup. I would think your problem is in your ignition module.