Default Mariah 351W Engine Removal and Replacement

After having engine trouble last year and no luck selling the boat as-is, I decided to pull my motor and rebuild/replace. My boat sits way out in my backyard under shrink-wrap and looking at it everyday motivated me to make time to fix it. I have a little extra free time thanks to the COVID crisis. This past Thursday I pulled it out and disconnected everything in preparation to remove on Friday. The engine was removed this past Friday after work was done for the day. I set the engine in the back of my pickup and brought it home and tore it all down by 7pm that evening. I discovered that my block was cracked pretty bad between cylinders 6 & 7. The only reason I can think this occurred was due to poor winterization and/or a stuck thermostat. I winterize it myself....Shit happens. I'll be purchasing a new logo block this week and swapping all components over to the new motor. I also need to rebuild the wire harness at some point sooner than later as two main wires (I forget which ones) have some resistance in them when I ohm them out.

Pictures of the process too follow.

Nice little crack, no magnaflux needed to find this beauty.

IMG_4800.jpg IMG_4802.jpgIMG_4803.jpg
    Last edited by lmnelson86; 05-18-2020 at 01:02 PM.

With regards to the wire harness, I would consider ordering a new one from SKIDIM and just be done with it.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    With regards to the wire harness, I would consider ordering a new one from SKIDIM and just be done with it.
    I didn’t know that was an option. Is that a store or a member in this forum? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lmnelson86 View Post
    I didn’t know that was an option. Is that a store or a member in this forum? Thanks!
    Discount Inboard Marine.
    Visit them at skidim.com
    It is better to call them directly. They have great tech support.
    803-345-0996
    Every forum member with a brain should have that number stored in their phone.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Awesome, thank you for the tip. I will call them this morning.

Well this project is no longer. I ordered a long block on Thursday and got a phone call that evening from a potential buyer. The long block order was cancelled and this boat is on its way to its new home in South Carolina. I'll miss it.