Default To wet sand or not too wet sand...

I have a 2001 Launch and the bottom blue gel coat is pretty oxidized. Is there a product I can use that would enable me to skip the wet sand process?

I was planning on just wet sanding the entire boat, but my father n law said there is a compound that had abrasive particles and can get away without wet sanding .

Your help is appreciated!

-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltrain View Post
    I have a 2001 Launch and the bottom blue gel coat is pretty oxidized. Is there a product I can use that would enable me to skip the wet sand process?

I was planning on just wet sanding the entire boat, but my father n law said there is a compound that had abrasive particles and can get away without wet sanding .

Your help is appreciated!

-Roll
    I used Aquabuff 1000 and 2000. It’s great but extremely messy. Get a good quality buffer too like a Makita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you say it is pretty oxidized, no way around not wet sanding it.

If you haven't done it before, there are some really good youtube videos on the subject matter. Watch a few to become familiar before you jump in and ruin your gelcoat.

Agree with TurbineSurgeon above to use a good quality buffer and appropriate grit.

After wet sanding, then use the father n law approved rubbing compound. I use 3M Marine Rubbing Compound followed by Presta Ultra Polish to remove the minor surface imperfections, then I use Collinite #925 Fiberglass wax for bright shine. There are a multitude of products you can use to achieve the same results, but the four steps remain the same...wet sand, compound, polish, and wax.

1983 Supra Rider aka Mischief IV
    1983 Supra Beast
    1985 Supra Rider
    1986 Supra Sunsport Skier
    1987 Supra Marauder
    1991 Supra Comp ts6m
    2012 Supra Sunsport 242

Yeah... I figured as much. The top part is not too bad, but the bottom is milky white and should be total blue. Oh well. I want it to look good, so I'll put the effort into it!.

Feel free to direct me to some decent pads for the various stages of you are feeling neighborly!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolltrain View Post
    Yeah... I figured as much. The top part is not too bad, but the bottom is milky white and should be total blue. Oh well. I want it to look good, so I'll put the effort into it!.

Feel free to direct me to some decent pads for the various stages of you are feeling neighborly!
    My boat sat out in the sun for almost 2 years and the gel coat was very chalky. Aquabuff ate right through it. Looks like new now. I used the wool buffer pad that came with my Makita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk